Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to restart my car (5spd) about 7 times in the last 10 miles to get home.
The CEL came on but no others. In fact, after the last re-start, the CEL went off. The System Check said everything was normal.
My 15yr old, listening to it when I turned it off and on, is absolutely convinced my fuel pump is bad or just isn't pumping enough (clog or something). It does make a lot of noise...

When we put the code reader on, it spits out P0087 (Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low)
Has anyone dealt with this?? Is it a bad fuel pump?

I'm still under the B-B warranty, only 26K on it, and I'll call Monday morning, but am looking for ideas before then.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
if i had to guess then i'd say yes, it is your fuel pump. would make sense if the code is saying there is not enough pressure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh great.
Now the kid thinks he's Dr. House...[facepalm]
[wrenchin]

Is this a warranty issue? (I've never had a car new enough to still have a warranty before)

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I would think so for sure. There is no reason it should be going in to limp mode and throwing codes with that low of mileage.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I had to restart my car (5spd) about 7 times in the last 10 miles to get home.
The CEL came on but no others. In fact, after the last re-start, the CEL went off. The System Check said everything was normal.
My 15yr old, listening to it when I turned it off and on, is absolutely convinced my fuel pump is bad or just isn't pumping enough (clog or something). It does make a lot of noise...

When we put the code reader on, it spits out P0087 (Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low)
Has anyone dealt with this?? Is it a bad fuel pump?

I'm still under the B-B warranty, only 26K on it, and I'll call Monday morning, but am looking for ideas before then.
Were you able to call your dealer yesterday? Please let me know if you have an appointment set up. I can check out some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't have time for me Monday, but got it in on Tuesday and the problem had quit. :mad:

Ten miles to town, no issues at all and the CEL was off. However it was still throwing 0087, so they did the procedure in the TSB and sent me on my merry way.
Eighty miles later and still no problems, so hopefully that was the cure!

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Your link is dead but here is the TSB:

TSB 15-0009

2.0L GDI – LOSS OF POWER WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0087 OR NO DTCS PRESENT – BUILT ON OR BEFORE 10/22/2014

Some 2012-2014 Focus vehicles equipped with the 2.0L Gas Direct Injection (GDI) engine and built on or before 10/22/2014 may experience a loss of power concern with DTC P0087 in the powertrain control module (PCM), or no DTCs present. The vehicle will operate normally on the next drive cycle after the ignition has been switched off/on. A message stating Engine Malfunction Service Now may be displayed in the message center.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 93.05 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at Motorcraft Technical Resource.
If the transmission control module (TCM) calibration required an update when the PCM calibration was updated, perform the clutch adaptive learning procedure. Using IDS service tool or equivalent, select Powertrain, Transmission, Transmission Adaptive Learning and perform the Clutch Adaptive Learning.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Didn't have time for me Monday, but got it in on Tuesday and the problem had quit. :mad:

Ten miles to town, no issues at all and the CEL was off. However it was still throwing 0087, so they did the procedure in the TSB and sent me on my merry way.
Eighty miles later and still no problems, so hopefully that was the cure!
Happy to hear so far, so good! Don't hesitate to reach out should the symptoms return.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 focus p0087 code

My ford focus is 2017 and has barely 5500 miles and i got this code have any idea what it or is just that I got a ?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Two types of vehicles that break the most - New ones & old ones.
Doesn't mean it's a lemon.

This OLD thread had a solution in a TSB for earlier models to get a software update, yours MAY have an actual problem other than that (bad part possible).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts