Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about installing a limited slip carrier into my 01 SE for better winter driving. I saw that they make them, but they are listed for the SVT. Does that just mean that is what vehicle they come in? Or does that mean they are not compatible with my car?

Would it be easier and cheaper to just pick up a used SVT front diff?

What are my suspension options within reasonable prices? I don't care to lower the car necessarily, but I need to replace the shocks/struts. And I may as well get something decent.

Saw this, but can I get as good or better performance for less somewhere else?:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The suspension set up is perfect. I run it on my 02 ZX 3
As far as the Torsen differential. The SVT won't fit. If you have the MTX 5 speed. They make one for it , CFM has them .

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm happy with the SVT suspension kit I got from Tousley (our Minnesota connection) - got the one with assembled struts & no replacement rear bar...

As far as a limited slip, as mentioned you need the right one for your tranny, BUT it's a "mixed bag" for winter....

You'll GAIN traction in a straight line, BUT you lose a LOT of "stability" - because instead of the tire with traction staying "planted" to keep you straight, it gets spun when you're on the gas so the front end WILL wander a lot.... and slide out a LOT more in a corner...

Had a friend years ago who wanted a limited slip for his pickup for the winter...

I put it in for him, WITH the lower gears he wanted as well... Broke the Ass loose BIG TIME whenever you goosed it.....

(good tires are your BEST winter investment...)

Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I completely understand the ups/downs of the LSD diffs. I think it would be a massive improvement with all the weight directly on those front wheels as it is. Little pickup with lower gears, not the same outcome. I had full lunchbox type lockers in my Jeep, and as long as you know how to drive, the benefit is immense, even in the snow!

So just to clarify, the limited slip only works in the manual trans?
EDIT: Nevermind, Iroc answered...

Thanks for the post, sailor!

Are there vendor deals on this site for suspension components like on www.jeepforum.com/vendor_deals[?]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hey, Thanks for the feedback - you're absolutely right about "knowing how to drive it"!!

(by the way, it was a full size pickup - you combine the LSD with an empty bed & an owner who DOESN'T know how to drive it.... Well YOU get the picture....)

LSD (Torsen or Quaiffe) and a good clutch is at the TOP of my list when cash allows, since the 2.3, even when TOTALLY stock is more than the SINGLE front drive wheel can handle.... (grin)

Cheers!

P.S. - my only engine mod. to date is a BSD kit, but it "lit 'em up" too easy even B4 that....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts