Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some searching and there for a bit there was a number of companies that made LSDs. I was looking at either the Kaaz or the Torsen.

The Kaaz is a bit more than what some of the articles and advertisements would indicate. (the SuperQ is $1,100 + SH) but sounds like a better LSD than the Torsen LSD.

It is my DD but hearing that if 1 wheel has no traction the Torsen still behaves as a open made me a bit more concerned and leaning towards the Kaaz.

Thoughts on people who have ran or driven a focus with both info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
a torsen will spin and lock both wheels when one wheel looses traction and it will turn the outside wheel in a turn a greater amount.

the worm wheel can not drive a worm gear but the worm gear can spin the worm wheel so its locks the differential

the torsen has the best technology and locks the wheels instantanously

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even when there is NO traction? i.e. on ice or in the air?

Also due to this I am likely not limited on what I am able to get....

An Email i received back from Torsen:

Good Afternoon Sir,

Can you please confirm our part# for the below inquiry, is it 975420-0208A that you are looking to purchase? If so, we do not currently have stock on this part & unfortunately do not plan on building any more of these units. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Sarah DiLorenzo

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news though...

Hi

As that diff is still a very popular seller and has a large following in the focus market I don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon. As for the function, Quaife diffs will never “lock up”. They are always adjusting power side to side. If one wheel losses complete traction IE comes off the ground then the diff will not be able to transfer power to the ground at all. It will freewheel inside the trans or rear end. What most people do is will trail the brake a little bit. That will make the diff think that the wheel has some traction and will put power to the one on the ground.

[:)]

Joshua Lynn
Only down side is the Torsen retailed at about $700 and the Quaife is currently at $1,150.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A torsen will not "lock" the wheels... that would be a locker or locking differential. Simply put, find the torque bias ratio listed for your particular torsen differential. This ratio is a multiple of torque between the low traction tire and high traction tire. If one tire has extremely low traction (say 50ft/lb of torque to wheel spin) and your bias ratio is 3:1 then you're only transferring 150ft/lb to the opposing wheel.

It makes for an extremely effective traction aid on dry pavement but might not behave the way you want it to in ice/snow conditions. Similar principal to 4x4 trucks with LSD or auto/full lockers on the front axle. With both front tires driving, its almost impossible to turn. You'll have more straight line traction, but you won't turn direction for chit under power. Since the torsen is dependent on the weaker wheel's traction, a set of winter tires would make a huge improvement if you drive this in the winter.... if not, then disregard the winter comment.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
HeHe - reminds me of putting a clutch type in a friend's P/U. Without weight in back it just broke both wheels loose instead of one in slippery snow. MUCH touchier in the Winter.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Torsens do break..(yes I broke one)and only have 1yr warranty. Quaife has lifetime warranty. Something to consider.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Torsen no longer is producing. Quaife have told me in email that they have a strong enough following that they have no plans to stop production any time soon.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
torsens work great on pavement. I auto-x with mine.

Also they don't lock. you can still spin 1 tire if you really over power it.

I have even done ice rally-x with them. That was interesting, i'm not sure if it helped my times, basically if i was on any power, the car went straight, so i was always lifting to turn. I was driving a tight and tidy line as there wasnt enough grip to be flicking it around.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You could check out MFactory. I was looking at theirs don't know to much about it though.
That's what I decided to go with. I would have went with a Torsen, but could not find any, and could not see paying $400 more for a Quaife. I have a Torsen T2 in my '96 Impala SS and feel it is almost a perfect limited slip. The MFactory works the same.

What I could find on the MFactory was positive. I found nothing negative about it. It was in my hands 4 days after I ordered it. Would have been 3 days, but they ship it signature required, so I had to go to the post office to pick it up.

Will probably have it installed next month.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had my MFactory helical limited slip installed in my 2007 Focus ST last week, along with an Exedy OEM clutch replacement and new Ford drivers side and passenger side mounts. The rear mount had already been replaced with a poly one.

It really changes the character of the car in tight low speed cornering. Rather than having to modulate throttle to avoid wheel-spin, it now just pulls through. It does require a firmer grip on the wheel as torque-steer is much stronger when the limited slip kicks in. It is not bad by any means, but I'm used to holding a light touch on the wheel in all conditions, and now it needs a strong grip.

One other place I really notice the difference is when going up a steep hill. The limited slip really makes the wheel want to stay centered. Again, it's not a lot of force, but if you make a turn while going up a hill, and release the wheel, it really springs back to center now.

A limited slip differential was the one thing I really wanted, back when I bought the car in 2006, that was not available. I'm happy to have it now.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I enjoy mine, really sucks the nose around. Had one in Capri RS w/ a 347, 4sp top loader w/ a torsen in a 8.8.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the KAAZ Super Q and I like it. It is clutch type LSD as opposed to the Torsen or Quaife that are ATB (automatic torque biasing).

The KAAZ pre load can be adjusted by the friction plates , I have mine at 60/40 and it works great for my daily driver. The clutch type are nice because you can feel them lock. You will never feel a ATB lock.

The downside of the KAAZ or any Clutch Type is they can make some noise. Mine clicks every know and then when turning. But its not that bad. At first I thought something was wrong but no, its just noisy at times. I had it not make any noise for months though as well.

Thats my 2 cents on it.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
I had my MFactory helical limited slip installed in my 2007 Focus ST last week, along with an Exedy OEM clutch replacement and new Ford drivers side and passenger side mounts. The rear mount had already been replaced with a poly one.

It really changes the character of the car in tight low speed cornering. Rather than having to modulate throttle to avoid wheel-spin, it now just pulls through. It does require a firmer grip on the wheel as torque-steer is much stronger when the limited slip kicks in. It is not bad by any means, but I'm used to holding a light touch on the wheel in all conditions, and now it needs a strong grip.

One other place I really notice the difference is when going up a steep hill. The limited slip really makes the wheel want to stay centered. Again, it's not a lot of force, but if you make a turn while going up a hill, and release the wheel, it really springs back to center now.

A limited slip differential was the one thing I really wanted, back when I bought the car in 2006, that was not available. I'm happy to have it now.
Wow thanks. I was waiting for someone to give a review of the MFactory. Looks like this will be my preferred option!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the MFactory LSD installed in my 2012 Ti last month and really enjoy it. As mentioned previously in this thread, you can really feel it pull you around sharp lower speed corners. The driving feel is totally rock solid and of course you can corner faster with more grip and confidence!

There is mention in this thread that the Torsen Style LSD would loose traction if one wheel is in the air or ice, won't the MK3 traction control function stop the free spinning wheel?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I had the MFactory LSD installed in my 2012 Ti last month and really enjoy it. As mentioned previously in this thread, you can really feel it pull you around sharp lower speed corners. The driving feel is totally rock solid and of course you can corner faster with more grip and confidence!
For sure^^^^^^^
There is mention in this thread that the Torsen Style LSD would loose traction if one wheel is in the air or ice, won't the MK3 traction control function stop the free spinning wheel?
Get one wheel hoisted in the air w/ atb style diff you lose drive. On icy/snowy roads it really works great vs a one legger. I find the t/c rarely kicks in at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts