Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of u who have the OEM garage door opener on ur focus have u had any problems with it?
mine 'pairs' fine w/ my opener and works great in the garage but about 95% of the time it won't work even if i'm in the driveway right next to the garage door.
the red light flashes that it's working but it doesn't always.

anyone else have this issue? thnx

·
Registered
251 Posts
it is short range ... but how old is the garage door and that antenna? I have a "sweet spot" so many feet this way and so far from the door that works every time. other than that it's a coin toss. This garage door opener is from 1988 ... they talk about adding 8x the current length of the antenna and stapling it to something non metalic.

one of my clickers can open the door 25 ft away ... the other 5 ft away. car 5 ft away.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Coming from one direction I have to be at the corner of my garage and I have to hold the button for a few seconds, from the other direction it will open from one house away with a shorter push. My LiftMaster opener is 5 years old.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine has about 60ft range on both a 10 year old single code and a 5 yr old rolling code opener. They are both sears units.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mine only works about 5 to 10 feet out. I was actually hoping for about 30. It's nice to hit the button and not have to slow down too much and wait before you enter the garage. I'm still happy with it though, it's fairly reliable.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
mine will work from the bottom of my driveway near the mailbox... thats probably about 50-ft

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ours is similar with fairly new openers. Homelink or standard is the same short distance.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is short range ... but how old is the garage door and that antenna? I have a "sweet spot" so many feet this way and so far from the door that works every time. other than that it's a coin toss. This garage door opener is from 1988 ... they talk about adding 8x the current length of the antenna and stapling it to something non metalic.

one of my clickers can open the door 25 ft away ... the other 5 ft away. car 5 ft away.
the opener is only a year old and the OEM opener sometimes works from the street and other times it doesn't work at all despite flashing red.. odd

·
Registered
232 Posts
probably a silly suggestion but have you looked at the garage openers themselves and made sure that the antennas on them are stretched out and not bundled up?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'll admit, I have pretty good range. On the street in front of my neighbors house I can open the garage. This is well over 100 ft in a straight line.

Forgot to mention, it's a rolling code about 5-6 years old with the antenna stretched and stapled to the roof of the garage.

·
Registered
251 Posts
yesterday I twisted on another 4 ft to that tiny antenna hanging down from the motor. and stapled it into ceiling with a couple of staples [#18 wire]

metal covered door, which is grounded ... with a dinky little antenna hanging behind it ... don't seem to make clicker happy.

vast improvement in range, clicker now happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts