Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experiance with this? I've been doing a little reading and my main concern would be traffic. Traffic is very easy for me now, I'm just wondering if it's going to be doable. I imagine you just have to keep the rev's high and slowly let out the clutch to move forward, which is basically what I do now, the clutch never really released all the way. Opinions? Advice? Anything? Thanks.

P.S.
I'm not looking for my car to be a
smooth cruiser, I'm prepared for
the discomfort.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Don't ride your clutch, it's bad for it.

Driving a car with a lightweight rotating assembly is interesting.
I reccomend you keep a stock throttle body for better throttle modulation and not do this if you live in a hilly area.

·
Registered
379 Posts
aero_student said:
Don't ride your clutch, it's bad for it.

Driving a car with a lightweight rotating assembly is interesting.
I reccomend you keep a stock throttle body for better throttle modulation and not do this if you live in a hilly area.
Hey Aerostudent, could you elaborate a bit more on this please? Thanks

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I've had one in for a year now, and its not hard to drive with, it just takes a bit of getting used to. You do have to give the car a bit more gas when you start out, but once you get going you really won't know its there. One of the negative side effects is its noisier than a stock flywheel, especially if you have a springless clutch...it'll chatter at idle (sounds like a diesel from a distance) and with a springless clutch you'll hear naturally-occuring sounds that are usually cancelled out by the heavier cast iron flywheel and the springs...sort of sounds like a scrape that comes and goes when the car is in gear with your foot off the gas or while slowing down.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
tungfumaster said:
Hey Aerostudent, could you elaborate a bit more on this please? Thanks
What specifically do you have questions about?

·
Registered
379 Posts
aero_student said:
What specifically do you have questions about?
What exactly is "intresting about driving a vehicle with lightened rotating mass?"

·
Registered
379 Posts
I drive a lot so i'd like to know any issues there could be with driveability.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
There really shouldn't be any issue with driveability...once you learn the subtle differences between the aluminum flywheel and the stock, you won't even notice its there (aside from the quick rev falloff.)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
When you are starting from a stop going up hill you have to very carefully timing letting the clutch out, taking your foot off the brake, and applying throttle. If you don't one of two things will happen, you stall or you light up the tires.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this is a bit in the future, but I was figuring that if I was in there already I would go with an aftermarket clutch, hoping it might last a little longer than the stock one. Any opinions? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
it's not going to last longer, but it will hold more torque and is necessary if you're doing a flywheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts