Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ford Focus, last week I noticed that the rear lamp was not working but the brake light was working. I replaced the bulb which made no difference. I measure 12V on the bulb housing but interestingly a 2000 ohm resistance across the pins. The other side is working normally with zero ohms across the pins.
Today one entire headlamp did not work, high and low beam are both out. I understand that they share a fuse so it is unlikely to be that.
Can anyone help please?
It is dark driving to and from work just now and I am conscious that the Police are hot at this time of year, so I need to get this fixed as soon as possible.

thanks

white_kossie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you FocusKnot.
The bulbs are good so I shall replace the fuses and hope this cures it.
I appreciate your answer.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
One other thing to check on the headlamp is the ground wire. It is common to both high and low beams, so if it is bad then neither beam will work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have cleaned up a nearby grounding point and I am delighted to report the headlights are now functioning. I shall try to locate the rear light fault during the Christmas break.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
I have cleaned up a nearby grounding point and I am delighted to report the headlights are now functioning.
That's great!

The grounds on the Focus are not all that good to begin with. They are put on over painted surfaces and rely on the bolt threads for electrical contact. Seems to work okay for a few years and then corrosion takes over. This is not just limited to the Focus as most every car I look at is done this way.

Sanding down to metal will give the best electrical connection. Then putting a little bit of silicone grease on the ground will help prevent future corrosion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts