Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the lightest and smallest trailer hitch for a Focus SVT.

Need a hitch for towing no more than a 600lbs tire trailer back and forth to autocross and track events. Plan is to modify the rear diffuser to allow hitch to exit as per the autocross class rules. The lighter the better as any and every pound will matter.

Been searching the forum but have not found what I am looking for.

Thanks!
D

·
Registered
3 Posts

Need a hitch for towing no more than a 600lbs tire trailer back and forth to autocross and track events. Plan is to modify the rear diffuser to allow hitch to exit as per the autocross class rules. The lighter the better as any and every pound will matter.

Thanks!
D
I just put a HiddenHitch on mine with and did a little mod on the rear diffuser. I have more pictures available.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks!
D
We may be able to help each other. I have a hitch that was on my car when I bought it and I don't want it. It's just sitting in my shop. My rear diffuser was already modified for it. You can have the hitch if we can swap diffusers so mine won't have the cut out anymore. It is a hidden hitch that could use a little paint but is in good working order...and I work in Greensboro which based on you being in the Triad shouldn't be too far from you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's are cutouts on my diffuser with the hidden hitch. I also found a rear diffuser on eBay for $60.00 in case I sell my car. The reason I installed a hitch was to maneuver my dual tandem tow dolly that hauls my car and 2 motorcycles. Too heavy to move around by hand and really inconvenient to do it with a 37' MH. P1010342.jpg

P1010343.jpg

P1010344.jpg

P1010346.jpg

P1010350.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the hiddenhitch was it specifically for the SVT or just a normal zx3? If for the normal zx3 besides the svt diffuser were there any other modifications you had to do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the hiddenhitch was it specifically for the SVT or just a normal zx3? If for the normal zx3 besides the svt diffuser were there any other modifications you had to do?
There isn't one made for the SVT so this is for the ZX3. The only modification I had to do was drill a 1/2" hole in the frame on the passenger side to secure the 4th bolt on the hitch. If you go to eTrailer.com they have a video on the installation and everything you need is in the box. If you buy a second hand hitch, you will need a fish-wire bolt-holder to get the 4th bolt up in the frame and through the 1/2" bolt hole you will have to drill. I have used eTrailer for many years and they always deliver quickly, are reasonably priced, and are ready to help with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There isn't one made for the SVT so this is for the ZX3. The only modification I had to do was drill a 1/2" hole in the frame on the passenger side to secure the 4th bolt on the hitch. If you go to eTrailer.com they have a video on the installation and everything you need is in the box. If you buy a second hand hitch, you will need a fish-wire bolt-holder to get the 4th bolt up in the frame and through the 1/2" bolt hole you will have to drill. I have used eTrailer for many years and they always deliver quickly, are reasonably priced, and are ready to help with any questions you may have.
alright, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
34 Posts
Couldn't find a CL1 when I was shopping so I ended up with this CL2 from Curt. After some cutting and drilling I got it down to 17.5 lbs. Only use it for a bike rack so no structural worries. Diffuser mods look almost identical to Uncl SVT.
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts