Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a light scratch on the hood while washing. Its not really noticeable when I'm standing up looking at it head on, but at an angle. What can I apply to make it better?

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Can you feel it with your fingernail?
The general rule is if you can feel it with your fingernail you can't polish it out yourself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried with my fingernail. If I run over it slowly, it will get caught in the scratch. Does that mean theres nothing I can do?

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
You can certainly try to correct it. If it's deep enough you might need touch up paint, but I would **not** recommend doing that yourself.

I would try using M205 finishing polish first.
If (when) that's not enough firepower I would proceed to M105 ultra cut compound followed by M205 afterwards. If that doesn't take care of it, it may be time to take it to a pro.

·
Registered
29 Posts
very easy fix. Get some 3000 grit (or higher) sandpaper. Put a small amount of water on the area thats scratched and wet sand it until the scratch blends in. Go slow and wipe often. This will "scuff" the clear coat, and look really bad. Don't worry. You will need some buffing type wax. We use a product made by 3M called finesse-it at the plants. 3M also makes a scratch repair kit you can find here http://www.amazon.com/3M-39071-Scratch-Removal-System/dp/B003NS5NK8. It comes with a buffing wax I believe. Anyways, after you wet sand the scratch out, you use the polish to remove the scratches from the sandpaper, and it will look brand new. This will only work for surface scratches. If it is through the paint, you can use this same technique, but a little different process. Look on your driver door at the label for the paint code, and order a bottle of touch up paint. Do not break the seal for the ball point pen applicator, as it will dry out after you use it. Instead, pour a small amount of paint on a piece of paper or something and dip the pen in it. Now apply the paint to the scratch and let it dry. After it dries completely, wetsand the paint until it blends with the paint, and buff out those scratches the same way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts