Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this at the end of another thread but the title was about something else. Just finished putting in a new suspension setup! Handles really well! The only problem is theres this rattle/ clunking sound (it sounds like something is loose) in the front end whenever I drive over bumps.

I have H&R Race springs combined with KYB AGX's. Im wondering if this is a bad combo? Maybe the struts are too long for the springs??? The springs are really stiff and really short, though i adjusted the struts to their stiffest setting.

Theres no sound when i turn, just over bumps, i think it may be the springs rebounding against the spring hat and strut mount.

When i put the springs on, even though i had tightened the strut mount as tightly as i could on the strut, (i sill have about a half a centimeter to a centimeter until the thread runs out on the strut), What kinda bugs me is that i could still press down on the springs so that there was about and inch of space between the top spring seat and the strut mount. When I let go the spring would rebound back and the spring seat would bounce back and fit snugly against the strut mount. Is this normal?

Im new to suspension stuff, Anyone have any ideas on what it might be?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
check out your sway bar links..... grab the car from the side and rock it back and forth. should hopefully make the noise if that's what it is.

·
.Flat Out.
4,794 Posts
Sounds about right ^^
except i did the same test with mine and it did not reveal anything, so i unbolted the sway bar links and they were toast. you might have to take them off. i would recommend replacing them with Moogs to top her off anyway.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check out your sway bar links..... grab the car from the side and rock it back and forth. should hopefully make the noise if that's what it is.

Sounds about right ^^
except i did the same test with mine and it did not reveal anything, so i unbolted the sway bar links and they were toast. you might have to take them off. i would recommend replacing them with Moogs to top her off anyway.
Thanks guys I'll have to look into it, I remember tightening them as best i could, maybe i pinched the little bushing on there???? I hope its this though and not a more expensive/ involved fix.

Is that spring thing that i had mentioned is that normal tho?? I figured it wasn't a big deal because the spring was made to compress and when its installed on the car the strut would be compressing with it also instead of me just pushing down on the top of the spring...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed! It was the bolt on the strut mount! when i first did it, i tightened it until i couldn't get a wrench in there anymore, then i assumed it was tight enough, but it DEFINITELY wasnt. I put some washers in there so i could actually tighten it to the point where the strut mount wouldn't move at all against the shock.

Took it for a ride at 11:30 last night noise is gone!

[woot]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts