Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Ford Focus with the 2.0L Zetec engine and I have recently developed a ticking/tapping noise that sounds like its coming from top-engine. It’s not throwing a code or performing any different than it had before the noise appeared. I have changed spark plugs and wires and done an oil change (per a mechanics recommendation) but the noise is still there. The ticking noise doesn’t go away when the engine rpms increase and I tried some sea foam recently to try and clear/unstick any possible injectors, lifters, etc. if anyone has any ideas on what it could be or has had an experience with this please let me know thanks!

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
Sea foam = garbage. Injector not sticking or engine would not run right. Lifter is solid so nothing to come unstuck anyway. Waste of money.

Worn cam lobe/lifter, they come in different thicknesses and you need to go to a thicker one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I pulled the valve cover off today and I’m inspecting the cam lobes. I’m not a mechanic by any means but to me none of the cam lobes seem to have any extra wear than the others. I measured their gaps with a feeler gauge and they are all the same (more or less maybe differing by 0.01mm on a few) on their respective sides.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
Pics mean quite literally nothing there, you won't see the wear often if it is smooth wear. They don't make feeler gauges as thin as you claim your measurements are either, you are talking 4 ten thousandths of an inch difference and they don't come out of the factory that close. The thinnest feeler is generally .0015", your .01 mm. is about a .00039" feeler gauge, do you have one? I doubt it.

You don't give mileage. Excess wear can allow bearings to get loose and then piston lightly kisses head to make a noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts