Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I heard what to me sounded like a lifter making some noise today one the first start of the day, it was a little cold this morning and to my knowledge this is the first time iv heard this noise. Iv talked to a few people about it and they all say that when it's cold out that the lifters will make some noise due to the thickness of the oil and it being at the bottom of the pan and I just wanted some feedback on that

·
Registered
6 Posts
So today I heard what to me sounded like a lifter making some noise today one the first start of the day, it was a little cold this morning and to my knowledge this is the first time iv heard this noise. Mike Cross will show you what is the best synthetic oil. For more info, you can access AutoGuysLand site. Iv talked to a few people about it and they all say that when it's cold out that the lifters will make some noise due to the thickness of the oil and it being at the bottom of the pan and I just wanted some feedback on that
You try checking oil and replace if necessary. Also, you can check compression if there is any issue with it if you are not driving it often because my car does the same in the cold mornings.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
So today I heard what to me sounded like a lifter making some noise today one the first start of the day, it was a little cold this morning and to my knowledge this is the first time iv heard this noise. Iv talked to a few people about it and they all say that when it's cold out that the lifters will make some noise due to the thickness of the oil and it being at the bottom of the pan and I just wanted some feedback on that
FYI, they're solid lifters......use a good syn. 5/20 or 5/30 oil...

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
The filters use cheap crap anti-backflow valves that are rubber and once cooked enough they don't seal and then you get noise at a cold startup. Using thinner oil lets them backflow even more, and why all cars use those valves, they never used them in earlier cars that used thicker oils.

Some of the heads use anti-backflow valves in them too, running oil too long can get trash in them to do the same thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts