Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2006 ZX3 that apparently has a lifetime filter on it. I'm being told that I can only get a replacement through the dealership and that it's going to be $300. Is that legit? I am really not keen on spending that much on an air filter.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What makes a "life time" filter a life time filter? I don't know how they work. I couldn't imaging a filter lasting more than 20k miles. I live in New England, where squirrels and mice like to bring in leaves and nuts into any orifice they can. Not to mention pine needles and what we call "helicopters"

·
Registered
739 Posts
So I have a 2006 ZX3 that apparently has a lifetime filter on it. I'm being told that I can only get a replacement through the dealership and that it's going to be $300. Is that legit? I am really not keen on spending that much on an air filter.
Yes that is legitimate. And it's recommended that you start your own thread instead of posting on a thread from 2008 next time. You should be able to tell how close the filter is to needing to be replaced however by looking at the filter gauge in your engine bay.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Made this a new thread for fresh answers. (better than added to one from '08)

Checking if you even need one is the first question as mentioned, no need to think about it if your gauge shows OK.

New unit from Ford includes quite a bit, I heard at one time it even included a new MAF since they figured you'd need one once it finally gave up. (no idea if that's true anymore) Still a large assembly to purchase, usually good for WELL over 100,000 miles.

The duratec performance section has the most info. on replacements & aftermarket options. One recent change is the availability of a replacement filter housing that takes individual replacement filters (Dorman brand) for stock type operation with a shorter lived replaceable element. '05-'07 fitment on that IIRC, fits on earlier models as well from one report.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gent I talked to told me that it needs to be replaced every 100k miles, and I'm at 126k right now. I bought the car used, though, so I have no idea if it was replaced before I bought it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have a lifetime filter on mine. Replaced it with a cai from fswerks, no change at all. Hooked up a shop vac to the old one, it flowed fine at 80k miles, put it back on. When it does plug up, gonna do the "stealth filter mod"

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
100,000 was estimated minimum lifespan in normal use, the gauge is the way to tell if needed. It won't suddenly get bad if it's OK now, slowly changes over time.

Press the end of the gauge to reset & get a fresh reading after driving if you are unsure of how it looks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts