Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to find out some information on this "lifetime" air filter that is installed on my Focus. According to the manual, the 2.3L has it installed standard. But the manual doesn't state any type of change interval. Maybe I'm not used to it, but I've never heard of an air filter that doesn't need to be changed.

Should these be changed? If so, can it only be replaced by Ford?

·
Registered
864 Posts
your not supposed to change it. they are supposed to last for around 100k, and when they finally do go bad, they are like 300-400 bucks to replace.

There was a thread about it just yesterday or daybefore. try doing a search for it

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The filter assembly itself has a clear plastic round device which shows if it needs to be changed. Look in the engine compartment near the intake assembly and you will see a small round clear plastic thing with red and green colors visible through the clear plastic. If I recall correctly, it looks like a small fuel filter in size and shape, and simply measures the pressure drop across the filter when the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Somebody tell FRAM.....

Was going to take a trip in my newly-acquired '03 ZTW ( 2.3 PZEV ), so I went to Wal-Mart for a new air filter. ( Did the oil change already ), looked at the FRAM chart and selected the 'correct' filter. COULDN'T FIND WHERE IT WENT. Took my brother in-law to notice "lifetime replacement" in the manual.
I'm sorry - I just don't get this........

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I'm sorry - I just don't get this........"

Search for the thread which has the link to the Visteon white paper on the technology and then you might get it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just google Visteon to find out about the filter. I would say that they just make the whole thing as it is installed in the Focus. There are CAI's out there for the 2.3, but they will probably be illegal if the car is a PZEV, because the intake system has a carbon trap to prevent gas fumes from entering the environment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts