Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 is at about 37.5K miles and the tires, the original Conti's, look like they are getting pretty low on tread. I'm a bit surprised by this because I hardly ever drive fast and am more inclined to the hyper miler side and was expecting more like 45K miles or more from the tires. For those of you that didn't quickly toss the OEM tires to change to something else how many miles did yours last?

I was planning to put winter tires on my original 17" wheels then buy a new set of wheels and tires next spring, but finances are a little tight so I think I'll not buy new wheels and simply replace the tires with all seasons that are decent for performance. That is, I will probably be replacing my current tires fairly soon but I'll need tires that are tolerable in the winter but good during the rest of the year.

So, recommend me some tires that fit this requirement...

Brian

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Conti's DWS,,,,, unlike the oem tires.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Conti's DWS,,,,, unlike the oem tires.
Agreed

I coaxed about 52k out of the old tires, but it was really pushing it toward the end and frankly I should have changed them at about 48k. But I wanted to squeeze every mile so I drove them until inspection was up.

I replaced them with ContiExtremeContact DWS and they make a world of difference. I was never too fond of the ProConatacts so I was more than happy to dump them. To me, the difference is night and day in nearly every category.

I would recommend going with the ContiPureContact DWS, though.They're a little more expensive but still have great reviews for snow and have a much better treadwear.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
My 2012 is at about 37.5K miles and the tires, the original Conti's, look like they are getting pretty low on tread. I'm a bit surprised by this because I hardly ever drive fast and am more inclined to the hyper miler side and was expecting more like 45K miles or more from the tires. For those of you that didn't quickly toss the OEM tires to change to something else how many miles did yours last?

I was planning to put winter tires on my original 17" wheels then buy a new set of wheels and tires next spring, but finances are a little tight so I think I'll not buy new wheels and simply replace the tires with all seasons that are decent for performance. That is, I will probably be replacing my current tires fairly soon but I'll need tires that are tolerable in the winter but good during the rest of the year.

So, recommend me some tires that fit this requirement...

Brian
I have the OEM and they are shot at 30K miles...

Not that bad for OEM tires...

I'm not a fan of 4 seasons tires (useless here in QC because of the winter tire laws)

So i'll go with summer performance tires either Toyo Proxes T1 Sport or Yokohama S.Drive

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the Wheels & Tires section, you'll find more on this here.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I have the OEM and they are shot at 30K miles...

Not that bad for OEM tires...

I'm not a fan of 4 seasons tires (useless here in QC because of the winter tire laws)

So i'll go with summer performance tires either Toyo Proxes T1 Sport or Yokohama S.Drive
I'd love to throw on summer performance tires, but living in the Seattle area & not wanting to switch out tires, AS tires is where its at, + the OP asked whats a good AS tire.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The Conti PureContacts are a little stiffer tire than the OEM Conti ProContacts. Better traction, but a little harder ride. That was my experience with my OEM 16" alloy wheels. I swapped out a set of 17" factory wheels which also had the original Conti ProContacts. Seems that 35k is about what you get out of the ProContacts. But then again, I never, ever wait until my tires are down to the wear bars before replacing my tires. Especially since I use my tires year round. To me the tires just don't have sufficient tread, especially through snow when the tire tread gets that low. Probably why I never end up in a ditch in the winter like some people.

I just replaced my Conti ProContacts on my 17" wheels with some General AltiMAX RT43's. Much better ride quality. Had some snow, seemed to handle better than the OEM ProContacts. Can't say how they'll wear in the long run yet as I've only had them on for a couple of months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts