Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the dumb dealer-advertising license plate holders on my Focus. I know I want to do black in the front (to match the Piano Black grille), but I don't know whether to go solid chrome or black for the back.

Do any of you guys have any clever ways you dressed up your license plates at the back?

Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just have smoke full-covers on the front and back. Simple n clean!
I definitely noticed the plate area on the rear was clearly made for Euro plates, since our plates over here stick out oddly past the bottom crease :p

·
Registered
321 Posts
Took my front plate off. Have a smoke tinted cover & slim black metal frame for the rear & painted it silver to match my car. Looks very clean

·
Registered
534 Posts
No plate on the front for me! Even though Ohio requires it. For the back, I hit up the craft store and grabbed a can of Krylon glass paint in yellow to match my car. Sprayed a smoked cover, and bang! You have a custom color match plate that blends right in. I get comments on it all of the time. [thumb]

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just have smoke full-covers on the front and back. Simple n clean!
I definitely noticed the plate area on the rear was clearly made for Euro plates, since our plates over here stick out oddly past the bottom crease :p
Ditto. I took off my license plate frame because it made it look even odder.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got the frame kit from autozone that has the stainless allen head screws... on the back you pull out those rubber nipples and pop in the square piece that comes with the kit so all four hold it on

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great thread because I was wondering about the same thing!! I was so glad my dealer put on my new plates without they're tacky advertising plate holders lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You don't have to keep the dealer license plate frame, you know. Just take it off and throw it away if you don't like it. I think it looks just fine with the plate by itself.

I ordered a set of theft-resistant license plate bolts that came with the square plastic screwhole things for the bottom two boltholes (like konabluehatch). The screws are basically hex screws with a pin in the middle, so you have to use a hollow allen wrench/hex key to turn them. I used all four of the new screws so they'd match. Then I gave the two extra plastic screwhole things and the two leftover factory screws to a friend who also just got a Focus HB, so now we both have our plates screwed down at all four corners with four matching screws.

I'm still very curious about replacement grille inserts for the front, though. I could go for a Euro-spec one and get a custom-ordered plate or one with no plate provisions at all for a cleaner look. Either one would be better than the unnecessary 6" x 12" spot carved out now.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm still very curious about replacement grille inserts for the front, though. I could go for a Euro-spec one and get a custom-ordered plate or one with no plate provisions at all for a cleaner look. Either one would be better than the unnecessary 6" x 12" spot carved out now.
join the club bro

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you're interested in the euro front plate I could price the grill piece at a German dealership, otherwise they won't fit.

I have a euro tag on the front but I had to use spacers on the frame so it would stick out past the grill.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile How bout getting some Focus Fanatics plates...thats what Im rocking.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the frame kit from autozone that has the stainless allen head screws... on the back you pull out those rubber nipples and pop in the square piece that comes with the kit so all four hold it on
KonaBlueHatch - this seems like the best idea for my tastes. I'm pretty conservative in my tastes, and the simple design along with the theft resistant Allens mentioned by Josh321 (along with stainless steel as a perk) will go great. Heh, if I see a Kona Blue Hatch along I57 in that neck of the woods, I know that's gotta be you!

Thanks for the ideas guys!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Here's my German front tag...

Had to put spacers behind the frame so that it wouldn't rub the ribbed part.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
134 Posts
KonaBlueHatch - this seems like the best idea for my tastes. I'm pretty conservative in my tastes, and the simple design along with the theft resistant Allens mentioned by Josh321 (along with stainless steel as a perk) will go great. Heh, if I see a Kona Blue Hatch along I57 in that neck of the woods, I know that's gotta be you!

Thanks for the ideas guys!
I work all the way up in Melrose Park...so im on 57, and 294 everyday...lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts