Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always lived in a state where front and rear plates are required: Maine, New York, and Virginia. I now live in West Virginia which only requires and issues a rear plate.

Since I bought the car in Virginia, it came with the front plate bracket. There are a couple of options that came to mind right away, but I wonder if the creative folks here have any suggestions. I could have put a vanity plate up there like "Ford" or "SVT" or maybe even "PIRANHA", but instead just removed the bracket, leaving four holes in the bumper cover.

They don't look so bad, but are visible. Anyone do anything differently? Or have any ideas?

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
oh damn those 4 holes.. my state also needs a both plates.. but im ilegal and the other owner was too lol its 2009 now.. and the car is 2003 so it has been 6 years of being agains the law with no problems at all xD..

I cant think of a way to completely hide the holes but using bondo and that stuff and repaint the bumper.. i dont know much of painting nor detailing but thats my opinion

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
well i'm in Nebraska..they do require both a front and rear plate...but i think that front plates ruin the look of the front of the vehicle....

to fix it the hole problem (however, i only had two holes) i baught some little plastic plugs that fit perfectly inside the holes....i painted them to match my car and you can really only see the plugs that i painted if you are like a foot away from the bumper...

you can give that a try...i decided to go this route becuase if the cops do catch up to me haha i will just have to unplug the holes and attach the plate

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SVTRSST, I've considered patching the holes, but I am far too lazy for that at the moment. And I looked at your gallery to see if I could see your bumper holes, but the images there look like the shots of Bigfoot: blurry. Quite the elusive creature you drive there.

levin, I may take a look at that. Where'd you get the plugs? Home Depot?

And anyone else with an idea, feel free to pitch in.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
yeah...it was either Home Depot or Lowes...one of the two...they have stores everywhere so I doupt you'll have troubles finding either of them...they work great they come black so they will have to be painted

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Put "Move out the way!" in reverse so people see it in their rearviews when they are behind you.

I always hated that bracket, best mod I ever did was getting that removed. IL requires it too but I never had an issue (knock on wood)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
you better check your local laws...i was told by a cop that i had to remove my plate from view becuase it was an "immatation" plate of a foreign plate

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Euro plate FTW! [thumb]

Although IDK if it would cover all 4 holes.

or "!hctib evom" [hihi]
+1 on the euro plate! If your state allows you to put vanity plates on the front, put one! lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put "Move out the way!" in reverse so people see it in their rearviews when they are behind you.

I always hated that bracket, best mod I ever did was getting that removed. IL requires it too but I never had an issue (knock on wood)
I've considered this, too, but using "KEEP RIGHT" instead. I have a strong dislike for folks who hang in the left lane when they are slower than the rest of traffic. Happens a lot for me driving in northern Virginia, where there are a lot of 2 lane 55mph highways.

Euro plate FTW! [thumb]

Although IDK if it would cover all 4 holes.
I think it would. The holes make a rectangle about 3 x 9.5 inches. I think the europlates are 4+ by 20. What to get on a europlate, though? I've never thought about it, other than I wish American plates looked more like them.

PS. I got some new shoes

Euro Wheels with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
You can order euro plates at a few different sites. I ordered mine from www.europeanplates.com (WARNING: It takes a while to get it from this site but to me it was well worth the wait[:)])

The european plate is a great idea[thumb]

But if it really doesn't bother you too much with the holes just leave it off and have nothing up there.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
just go to the auto stor and get some plugs ( the type the you would ues on the inside of your car to hold plastic parts in place) . get a can of spray , paint to match and plug them up. done

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can order euro plates at a few different sites. I ordered mine from www.europeanplates.com (WARNING: It takes a while to get it from this site but to me it was well worth the wait[:)])

The european plate is a great idea[thumb]

But if it really doesn't bother you too much with the holes just leave it off and have nothing up there.
I don't mind much. It's been this way for over a year.

I'm guessing you intended me to buy this:

just go to the auto stor and get some plugs ( the type the you would ues on the inside of your car to hold plastic parts in place) . get a can of spray , paint to match and plug them up. done
I do like this idea. This might be an interim solution. It's something that's easy enough to put in and take out that I could swap between plates and none pretty easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts