Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys since I figure out how to take this little things out no need to ask, there is a thread somewhere on this forum about it.

But, my situation is peculiar maybe someone has gone through this and can tell me a hopeful light for this things that are in so bad shape. As I was taking them out water came out so that means the plastic ring around the plastic is damage...not a good thing.

While I'm writing I just order new white leds for this things cause I think is going to improve visibility and looks. But I wanted to see if I can save them instead of spending money on new plastic covers...but I don't know you be the judge and tell me, what would you do?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Try cleaning them with mountain dew

·
BLÄKNBLÜƎ
7,146 Posts
had the same problem..water is getting in there somehow...
i soaked my lenses in soapy water and sanded downed the contacts and re-installed..

but im still wandering where the water is coming from..maybe down behind the hatch strip.idk

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I cleaned mine more than once and the green crud came back. I bought some from Rock Auto, but the fitment wasn't that good. They sell them in the Help section at the part stores. I know Pepboys has them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys, thanks for your suggestions the Coca Cola or Mountain Dew treatment would have been fun and sticky lol...but I know Coca Cola do wonders.

Well after reading and thinking what could I do I came with a solution cause I really don't want to spend on new clear caps so here are my results...

1. I clean the clear caps with water, baking soda and a product call Mean Green good stuff by the way. Adding to this a electrical brush I use for heavy duty cleaning. I didn't spend a dime cause I had all this at home.

2. This is how they look! I think they look great compared to how they looked before.

3. I went I get new bulbs cause the old ones I try to clean them and star falling apart. So I found the bulbs at Walmart for $3.50 anyway I order new white LED for this things....hopefully they will get here soon. This is how they look when I install them to the car...I added a little of silicone on the edges so water don't go through.

4. And last but no least I took a picture a little while ago is night so I wanted to see if they look good...and they did!

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Looks good!

I would take the rear hatch piece off and make sure water isn't penetrating around there

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Looks good!

I would take the rear hatch piece off and make sure water isn't penetrating around there

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
I worked at pharmaceuticals cleaning company before and when we made our (dip) lol to clean the metals it was a the same ingredients as the sodas! Dr pepper and mountain dew are the strongest. Use the dew to clean the corrosion and just rinse it lol same for batterys. The green is from water corrosion on the copper terminals like the statue of liberty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Grease them

You are getting a lot of corrosion from moisture all right. Do you live in an area with a lot of humidity/salt on road/an ocean nearby? What can help the copper tabs from going bad is to smear some di-electric grease all over the metal contacts and the ends of the bulb caps, also a light layer on the lens rubber seal. This will help keep moisture off the metal.

Personally, I would remove the copper contacts and tin them, there is no reason for there to be bare copper at all in a place that can get moisture. I use this stuff for circuit boards I etch at home. The grease you can get at any auto place pretty much right by the register.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey where did you get the tag lights from i want some of them and going to do the same thig to my lendses they look awsome great job

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Looks good!

Word! Especially since you're gonna throw LEDs in thar... I'm assuming they weren't $3.50, and it may just happen again.

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Water gets through the black strip on the back and water gets into the license plate lights, unless your going to silicone the black part to the car, I don't think really anything else could be done nice and cleanly.

I just ran into this problem on my wagon, they broke into a couple of pieces when I took the lens off. So I went to the junkyard, got a better looking pair, cleaned em up, and rigged them for white led's.

Done and done with leds, no need to F with that for another 100,000 hours.

I'll post night pic's tonight if y'all want?

But I also got a random question; where do the wire's for the license plate run to? The fuse box, or the headlight switch?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr. Bergner Thanks! :)

DEMENTED SVTF I know...it was nasty eeew! But I manage to clean that out with the product I show you in the pics does a great job!

red2009se
go for let me know how it worked...

Dancerman yes they had allot of corrosion, I am the second owner for the car so I don't know before I got it I live in Florida not near the ocean at all hehe I wish, but you know down here there is allot of humidity and rain so that could be it. But I think what happened was that the black rubber ring around the clear plastic just got to is end it was in a very bad shape when I took them off so that is why water is getting in there non stop. Thanks for the tip of the di-electric grease I might try it out.

andy01se I said in my post I was getting LED white lights, but since I can't have the car with out the lights temporarily I bought regular bulbs at Walmart they did the job pretty well after I cleaned all that green stuff out of the clear covers ;)

Mile30 I took care of that by sealing the clear plastics to the car with silicone so no, it won't happen again, no more water in them I did a great job my lights are like new.

Djzx3
Yeap silicone worked for me , yes you are welcome to post more pics :)...About your question I think they run form the fuse box, not sure about that maybe someone more technical can answer that...

Thank you guys, great observations and tips...keep them coming!

·
4,940 Posts
I'm guessing the common problem of water in the tire well stopped for you too? I didn't think about it until you said you did silicone it, that's probably how the water gets into the tire well and sloshes around.

·
4,940 Posts
Here ya go, I like it, it's bright on the license plate, but the bumper stops it from having the light touch the ground like many Honda's I see.

What you think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts