Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, yeah, horsepower is great and all, but if your torque isn't there, neither are you. I know that a Tune (Tom's ofc), intake, and exhaust will help a good bit when all together, but is there something (turbo, supercharger, ST drop in) that would really show the gains. From what I can tell, the gains people are getting for the amount of money put in is close to nothing. My girlfriends 1.4T Cruze stomps all over my SE, and a tune for her car is going to leave mine in the dust. A 1.4L! I want to put some cash in and get this thing moving.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
you pretty much named everything to do. intake, exhaust, header, tune, RMM. No one has boosted one of these yet so you would be breaking ground if you did that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, yeah, horsepower is great and all, but if your torque isn't there, neither are you. I know that a Tune (Tom's ofc), intake, and exhaust will help a good bit when all together, but is there something (turbo, supercharger, ST drop in) that would really show the gains. From what I can tell, the gains people are getting for the amount of money put in is close to nothing. My girlfriends 1.4T Cruze stomps all over my SE, and a tune for her car is going to leave mine in the dust. A 1.4L! I want to put some cash in and get this thing moving.
From what I've read a bolted and tuned focus should put up well against a tuned Cruze. Up to you :)

Work with Tom on turbo'ing your focus!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A close to stock Cruze is pushing 164hp and 205Tq after tune on a Dyno. That's coming from 138hp 148tq. That's some big gains for just a cat-back and intake with a tune. If I could push those numbers, then I would really be dumping some money into my car.

·
Registered
985 Posts
they are turbo that's why. Get a 50 shot and you will be set.

·
Registered
985 Posts
From what I've read a bolted and tuned focus should put up well against a tuned Cruze. Up to you :)

Work with Tom on turbo'ing your focus!
I am pretty sure a Bolton mk3 would beat a tuned cruze.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
12.0:1 turbo. No thanks.
Not to mention that you can pick up a used Focus ST for 18-20k these days, you would be much better off just selling your car and upgrading to a ST.

Much less effort, cheaper, warranty, recaro seats, etc.

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
12.0:1 turbo. No thanks.
Thats what everyone said about turbocharging the SVT at 10.2 compression back in 2002 , everyone said it wouldnt work and wouldnt last and I did it and it worked great and still does

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
Not to mention that you can pick up a used Focus ST for 18-20k these days, you would be much better off just selling your car and upgrading to a ST.

Much less effort, cheaper, warranty, recaro seats, etc.
Yes this is true and then your going to spend about 5000-8000.00 on it to get it to perform like it should of run from Ford

Tom

·
Registered
99 Posts
a 50 shot of n2o would be fun

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thats what everyone said about turbocharging the SVT at 10.2 compression back in 2002 , everyone said it wouldnt work and wouldnt last and I did it and it worked great and still does

Tom
Exactly, you can boost a car with 12:1 compression. You just need to be spot on with the timing and tune. If I'm not mistaking way back when darrell cox started racing the neon in the import class he had either 14:1 or 16:1 compression and allot of boost, he had it timed to fire after tdc. Not saying he wouldn't have made way more power if it was less compression and timed differently. But it is possible to add boost.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
You would think they would but they wont , If I made a MK3 kit this week I would bet over the next 6 months I wouldnt sell 3 of them

Tom
Under 2000$. count me in! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eh, my brother is looking to trade in his ST3 in for a diesel. I may just push a deal and get his car at the dealership.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Under 2000$. count me in! :)
The problem is you get what you pay for and realistically for a mk3 boost kit with all the supporting bells and whistles needed so you don't blow you engine would run you closer to the $4000 mark. Mountune recently put out a feeler and received a lot of positive feedback for building a boost kit for the mark 3,however they still still have to finish up their exhaust and other more common bolt on mods before they can even start the R&D on a turbo kit. Someone is going to make a kit eventually it is inevitable, I mean hell there are kits out there for the SPI engines. Right now all we can do is sit patiently and wait, enjoy your reliable DD for a little bit and start saving up for the kit because it's going to cost you some coin. If you really can't wait just buy the ST because it will be cheaper and you can go out and do it today. As for me I'm happy with what I have available for now, the upgrades available can make these fun little cars to drive while not sacrificing MPGs or reliability.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's about right.

The cheapest functional kit with intercooler for mine is $4000, and I'd want to add a wideband gauge to that at a minimum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts