Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas....here's my problem I'm having with my 2001 ZTS. I have currently 154,000. miles on my beater and need another set of hydes. This will be the ((((( eighth)))) set of tires I've had on this unit. I know what you're thinking! "Ole Coldbear has an alighnment problem". No, we've had the Focus on 4-5 racks with the best looking over the problem. Tire rotation done every 3500 miles at oil changes. Tire Cupping on the rears are getting EXPENSIVE> As you know, a retire is $425.-$475. a hit. All the tire manufactures say we garrentee the safety of the tire, not the deathening noise after 5000 miles.
Is there another wheel / tire combo out there that looks 2002 SVT stock? I mounted new SVT wheels on her in 2003. Any ideas on a tire? I do not care if it's a performance piece or not. This car is driven about 100 miles a day. Can't hear the D#%m radio!!

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Hey Coldbear, I moved your thread to this section since it would better help you here than in the Zetec lounge. Now as for the cupping issue it could be one of two things. You will either need new shocks/struts or you are using really cheap tires. I am thinking it might be that you need new shocks/struts since you haven't mentioned anything about replacing those parts.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
You could have a hundred alignments and unless you use some very precise alignment settings you will experience continuous uneven wear. Please use the specs in the alignment sticky at the top of this page as they have proven to work. And I agree with zetecDon, if the tire edges are truly cupping, you have a shock or tire balance problem (the cupping pattern determines which one). If your shocks have over 50 to 60K miles on them you should replace them. As for noise, all season tires with lots of fine sipping tend to be the quietest.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
^^ Yup.

Just because the alignment tech's computer is all green doesn't mean that your car is properly aligned.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Zetecon for the info. As I stated in the original post, numerous parts have been replaced on the rear suspension. Rear shocks (2 times) rear trailing arms, rear stabilizer bar bushings, multiple different tires. So this eliminates cheap tires, as I'm going BROKE putting new tires on this car every 18 months or 20,000 miles. As for being improperly aligned, perhaps but 4-5 $ 75,000.00 racks say that aint so. The worst cupping comes from the right rear tire. As stated earlier, I have a very rough ride, and excessive noise from the tires. I'll probably be getting a left over 2011 Focus come December 29, and if this problem (tire cupping) exsist on my new car, I'll say I should have bought a Turaus. lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also the different cheap tires as follows.
1.Firestone Firehawks[2 sets].
2.Perrellia P6 [1].
3.Dunlops {1}.
4.Fusions [3 sets].
5.Goodyears [1].
There's probably another set that I'm missing but this is the banquet of tires that I have purchased for this 2001 ZTS. Go figure.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I didn't notice you mentioning anything about toe-in, toe-out alignments. Did you have these numbers checked? If you had new trailing arms put in, you should get both sides back into the correct alignment numbers and from what goes on in this forum, it seems like most of machines in shops don't get this adjustment correct.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
i have some tire wear issues but mine are self inflicted due to camber. ive burnt through a set of falken ziex tires and a set of good year viva 2 this year. i cant believe the fuzions didnt last tho ive had the same 2 fuzion hri on my car since before i got it and thos ehave out lasted the goodyears i bought brand new a few months ago. my solution to tire wear was put the hris on the front where my abnormal wear is. they dont seem to wear out theyve seen 3 or 4 years of use not to mention burnouts and theyre still atleast 50% tread and my alignments pretty F'd

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
I didn't notice you mentioning anything about toe-in, toe-out alignments. Did you have these numbers checked? If you had new trailing arms put in, you should get both sides back into the correct alignment numbers and from what goes on in this forum, it seems like most of machines in shops don't get this adjustment correct.
thats the only alignment thats done on these cars there is no adjustment for camber stock and as far as i know no caster adjustment either only toe angle

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
i have some tire wear issues but mine are self inflicted due to camber.
Next round try some Nitto NeoGen's. They are made with camber wear in mind and perform really well. Of all the uhp all-season's that I went through, they were my favorite, hands down, and won't cost you a lot.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Once again (if all components are in good shape).....IT'S THE ALIGNMENT......The fact is that Ford's allowed alignment spec range is too broad for this car. It's very easy for the best alignment tech with the best equipment to select settings within the allowed range that are not compatible and will still eat tires. It's not the equipments fault nor the techs fault as most are just trained to put it the "green zone " on the monitor (meaning it's within the allowed range) or even a more considerate tech that puts it in the middle of the allowed ranges (an acceptable practice). Unfortunately, neither are good enough for the Focus. It HAS TO BE some very precise numbers within Ford's allowable range. Trust us on this!!!!! Just about every FF member (and every Focus owner for that matter) has experienced this problem and the solution is in the sticky at the top of this section. Take those numbers with you and demand that they use them exactly as written. The key is reducing the camber (which is not adjustable from the factory). You may need to get a rear camber adjusting devise like camber bolts (cost 25-30 dollars a set). Then you need to reduce allowable rear toe-in closer to but not quite zero. It took me a long time (and many alignments) and the help of several FF members doing the same thing to zero in on these numbers. We did not pull them out of our butts, it was a process of elimination by some guys who knew there was a solution to this issue and I think we have pretty much nailed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts