Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so while putting my new wheels on i notice that the brakes are just about gone (if it's not one thing it's another). i'm looking for something decent that won't leave a lot of brake dust. suggestions? trying to keep the overall price to less than $200.

i saw that batinc is running a pretty good deal on Mintek pads and EBC rotors. anyone running this setup? is it any good?

Mike

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RPIJG- i know brembos rep., but would you say using the EBCs is a bad idea? i kinda like'em (cosmetics-wise, which i know is a dumb point), but if they're crap i'll pass 'em up.

Mike

PS- thanks WORM. pics will be coming soon. or you might just see me friday at the Q if i decide to go.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
RPIJG said:
brembo slotted rotors, and either mintek or hawk pads
cha ching...i say the same exact thing, cept brembo max rotors...EBC is alright but for the price, i'd go for the best...brembo

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Another focus owner nearby me has the EBC's, the squeak like no tomorrow, he has Mintek pads, which I have been told frequently are some of the best for the focus. What is it about the EBC's visually that you like? Both the Brembo's and EBC's are slotted rotors, unless you are talking about the Cross-drilled EBC's which I would warn against.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
you can purchase just blank brembo's...and as for your friends squeaks...did he use any brake lube?...cause without that most installs will sqeak

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have that exact combo from BAT. I got the "stock" replacements, and can't be more pleased. Brakes better than she ever has, and it was only $109 + shipping. Very helpful folks too.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
brake lube? I don't know, I've never heard of it, sounds kinda like a contradiction in terms though.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
RPIJG said:
brake lube? I don't know, I've never heard of it, sounds kinda like a contradiction in terms though.
most mechanics use it, i use it to put on the stock shims and on the sides for fitment...and that usually stops all sqeaks from happening. also great to use around the hub and brakes so the wheels don't seize to the wheel...great for anyone near the ocean

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's also known as anti-squeal or bisc brake quiet. it basically just acts as a layer of dempening material to soak up the vibrations that normally cause chatter. i don't know how people can NOT use it and NOT get squeaks. dunno. maybe i just suck at brake jobs.

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't forget to lube your caliper slide pins so you don't end up having to replace your seized calipers on your next brake job....

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so what's the deal with all the brembos i can find on ebay much cheaper than tirerack? i know some are fake (like the ones that are cross-drilled and slotted), but some look legit. anyone have any luck with some ebay companies or know where i might find some of these a little cheaper?

and what's the deal with cross-drilled vs. slotted? what's the pros and cons of each?

lastly, which pads will most likely leave the least dust between all the brands you guys have mentioned?

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
613 Posts
cross drilled vs slotted or both

I'd say stick with just slotted, cross drilled have far less contact patch then slotted and cross/slotted rotors have even less, and I've known people with drilled rotors that had cracked..The whole point of doing it is to help cooling by giving hot gasses room to escape, although front rotors on all cars now are ventilated (cept maybe a kia or some econobox), I put slotted on my lincoln they helped with some bendix pads, my wheels were black the first couple of days but after that they rocked....Slotted is what I hope to get with some mintek pads, since I've read they are some of the best, I loved the bendix ones but they produce MASSIVE dust when breaking them in....

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just got some power slots but I havent put them on yet, I gottem for like 150 for the rotors

·
Registered
94 Posts
Powerslot & Hawk

I am really happy with my slotted Powerslots and Hawk Performance Pads. I have close to 35K and they stop like they did when they were new. I drive way too fast, ask my insurance agent.

·
Registered
963 Posts
i have ebc geenstuff and ebc turbo groove rotors and they dont squak at all. they stop great im gonna stick with green stuff from now on

1 - 20 of 21 Posts