Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,all you bench racers out there,would it even be possible to get my 2005 2.0 5 speed manual tranny into the 12 second range and still be a reliable daily driver? And what would it take? I know it would have to have turbo or a supercharger,but is this even a feasible goal? I had a 12 second fox body mustang before the kids came along,but it had to go to a new owner because it wasn't much fun putting car seats in the back. Well my kids are older now and don't ride with me much,and instead of another fox body,I was thinking about building the focus,but is my goal even possible? This would be a gradual build,not all at one time unless an engine rebuild would be required. Just kind of dreaming here,so humor me please!![rofl]

·
Registered
666 Posts
start with a 2.3 head

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
There is a guy running 12.9's on a STOCK block with FSWerks stg 2 kit.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
There is a guy running 12.9's on a STOCK block with FSWerks stg 2 kit.
Yes. Smithboy76908 has a completely stock 2.0L with FSwerks Stage 2 kit. He ran 12.93 @ 105mph. That was on stage 1 clutch, stock diff and drag slicks. Car is gutted with just the dash and two front seats left; car is plenty fast...if I remember the dyno #'s right it was 230whp and 215 wtq.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Very doable and you wouldnt need to strip your car or run slicks to do it thats crazy

Me I would go to the 2.3 it would just make your goal easier because its TQ your after not HP and the 2.3 would deliver more but at the same cost

Tom

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
This would be a gradual build,not all at one time unless an engine rebuild would be required. Just kind of dreaming here,so humor me please!![rofl]
Engine rebuild required. Sure you can slap a turbo on anything- even with stock pistons, but you can't "go for the gold" with stock internals.

Although Tom recommended the D23, I do believe he's built a car along those guidelines with a D20 before. I don't know what numbers the guy who owned it was putting down, but I do recall dynos showing it had something like 280 hp and damn near as much torque.

Here's a list of goodies to research:
Forged or billet pistons
Billet rods (stronger than forged for future---I want 11's!!)
Ported cylinder head
Ball bearings turbo and all the fixings
3" exhaust
Limited Slip differential.

I'd also consider some research to find out if coil-over suspension upgrades would help you out at the track. With these you can loosen up the action for DD, but then lower the front and raise the rear at the track. That will help keep weight planted on the front wheels to decrease time- as long as it didn't screw up your camber and make the car squirrely. I've always wanted to do that with the wagon since air lift load helper springs are available, but my kid isn't old enough not to need every extra penny I make.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts