Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, I ordered a new '09 SES Coupe w/5 speed fully loaded in Vista Blue and it should be here by end of next month to early Dec. I've decided the first mod will be to replace the stock binders and install the Focus SVT disc brakes all around w/SS brake lines. Ricardo at F2 told me that the '09, as of yet, has a non-flashable ECU, but of course, things do change. KONI coil overs, F2 header, 2.5" SS exhaust, either Street Scene or 3D Carbon body kit, SUN hyper ground system, medium tint all the way around, CAI intake, STS, etc, etc, etc....Pics forthcoming of course. It makes my 3rd Foci...heck, I'm not hooked![driving]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'd recommend skipping the complete SVT brake kit. The only difference on the fronts is 20mm (280 stock, 300 SVT), so basically the difference between 11 and 12". Not a whopper, and for the trade you'll end up with a caliper that costs $100 more if you can find it, and more expensive rotors also. I just did mine, and wish I'd only done the back instead. That will save you about $300 to use on something else, or you could go ahead and get slotted and drilled rotors and higher performance pads to replace the stock ceramics which would probably have the same effect as far as braking. Ceramics are good for lasting a very long time and low dust, but not the best for friction.

The SS lines will make a noticeable difference also- well worth the money from what I know of SS lines.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I want to get rid of the rear drum brakes and I can get the SVT replacements at a good price plus the kit I'm getting comes with drilled and slotted rotors...should look pretty cool with the wheels plus provide increased stopping power.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
you can get rear ST brakes... they are alittle smaller than SVT's but wont hit the pocket book as hard.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
The 09's look cool. Keep us updated when you finally get it.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
will the lip kit fit the new 09 coupe bumpers?

i can't wait to see them!

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
it pains me that they dont offer the 2.3 anymore....wonder if i could get this shipped here...

yeah, that will be good, ur list....how hard is it to do the SS brake lines? ive got some time, and i was thinking about doing them too. i mean, do u have to go all the way from the master cylinder, tot he rear, and front? sorry, just never done them.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
^no kidding. ive heard they are bringing the st back, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to Vik at FS and Ricardo at F2 regarding the rear brake conversion. Vik mentioned that its pretty much a plug n play but with 2 issues. (1) The hand brake cable works, but not as well as the cable is a little short and (2) the rear brake lines are too short to fit the SVT calipers. I called and spoke to Ricardo and he told me that they actually make their own in-house SS brake lines and they address that length issue so looks like the kit from F2 is the way I'm going.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
yeah, that will be good, ur list....how hard is it to do the SS brake lines? ive got some time, and i was thinking about doing them too. i mean, do u have to go all the way from the master cylinder, tot he rear, and front? sorry, just never done them.
SS brake hoses is just replacing the rubber hose at the caliper, you have metal lines running all the way from the master cyl to each brake but then you have a rubber hose at the wheel so the suspension can flex and the wheel can turn. replacing these with SS braided lines mean you won't get as much ballooning under heavy braking and are higher quality all-around. It is not too hard, however you must bleed out your entire brake system afterwards, which is also a good excuse to put higher quality fluid in as well

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
ah, so they are just braided lines. okay, thats what i was hoping for. i can do that lol. i will probly wait til i do the brakes tho. they are gettin close, and i wanted to bleed them anyways, get some new fluid in.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
me too, i'm planning on doing it all at the same time

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
me too, i'm planning on doing it all at the same time
what lines u gonna use? i talked to mike at hilbish today, and he said to just grab some on ebay, that they are all the same. im excited about this mod now lol. i might just get them and bring em to my dealer, tell them to put them in and bleed it now. that way if something gets messed up when i put all the new brakes in (vented rotors, ceramics), i will know its not the bleeding situation that caused it....separate the possible causes (ive had issues in the past with air in the lines).

i hope the OP is reading this too...give him some goodly ideas lol.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i think the brand name is russell? whatever the common ones are...i'm doing an SVT brake conversion so i'm just gonna do it all then..

or maybe earlier and swap out fluid...we'll see how motivated i am

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
brake lines are easy, couple of wrenches and a pair of pliers to pull the retaining clips, i did it in about an hour and a half... had the wife pump the pedal for me... the squishyness in the pedal is completely gone.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts