Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really important I'm a newcomer here I ask simple question for the past 3 post but today somthing magical just happend to my focus 2003 SVT...

I can't go out of 4 gear, the clutch works fine ... It was just another red light and i decide to put neutral insted of waiting the green light with the clutch But i got stuck in 4th gear ... i have not run over a any hole, the transmission was working fine ... no strange sounds ... just happend. I arrived to my home in 4th gear, I turned the car off and try to put it in neutral but is impossible something got stock inside is my guess ...

I have class tomorrow Monday ... is my only car.

I need help if anyone can give me somthing to work with and maybe get this thing working properly i will apriciate that.

I'm super angry, sad.

... Please Help !

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Does it feel like it is the shifter or the actual gears that got stuck?

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
More than likely, your shift cables are messed up, you should check where the adjustment clips are near the firewall and see if you can pop them back in place.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Yups... Sounds like the shift cables.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
when my shifter cables broke i couldnt get into 5th and 6th gear. this sounds like a similar problem

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I say shift cables too, even with the clutch enguaged you can pull it out of gear. So if you can leave 4th its got to be the cables.

Welcome to FF

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
For your bulb question:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php -> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57 -> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34666

Rather than ask us how good we are, ask us how well we have planned for possible question, then ask how good the members are at searching out that information. Things are arranged to hopefully be quickly and easily accessible, if that is not the case please let us know so we can make things easier and more user friendly.

For this question I will I concur with everyone else, Shift Cables.
But it would be helpful if you filled in the vehicle information to we would know if you have an SVT or not, being the transmissions are different. (This isn't a Honda site and none of us are out to steal anything)

The 2 most common places where the cables fail is them popping out of the shifter base, usually cause from a broken shifter base flexing, can be viewed by removing the shift boot and looking towards the dash. And the cable attachment points to the shift linkage arms, will basically be straight down from the underhood fuse box. You will be looking for these 2 points:

·
Registered
504 Posts
didnt know the focus had enough power to get moving from 0 in 4th, my 4runner can barley do 3rd.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
^^^ JUst alot of clutch abuse, and you can get anything to move.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If anyone knows the specific name of this thing, because this was the problem the white/black connector got loose I put it back in place and thats it ... I bought the car 1 month ago maybe the last owner was working with that and forgot to adjust it ... or vibration ... or time ... or the cats sabotage my car may be ... I dont know how that happend.

For one of the question, Yes it was clutch abuse to get to my home ... even harder in PR theres no flat terrains, is all slopes big mountains.

For comment how we can make this better ... well i try to search for a past topic about this, but the thing is I'm so angry at the moment I could not find a similar thread with the same issue ... having a folder in the website somthing like focusfanatics.com/fixityourself/troubleshooting something like that jejjeje. I'm sorry about the title "Let see how good this forum is" I just wanna capture the attention of everyone because i really need it all that help.

I post the solution in case some else have the same problem.

Thanks to everyone.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
For a temp fix you can just use a few well placed zip-ties.
There is also a thread around with directions on how to make a "brace" for the shifter base to combat the flex/fix it's brokenness.

Long term solution is to replace the shifter base if broken, under $30 IIRC for the stock Nylon Plastic one and about $90 for the metal SVT shifter base (comes with new shifter), and/or new shift cables if the cable locks are slipping/damaged.

I'll see what I can dig up and edit it into this post later.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
How ironic, I read this just last night and now my boosted SVTF has the same problem, stuck in 4th as well. What all has to be removed to get to the cables so I can fix this. I can see them under the fuse box but doesn't seem like i can reach. Do I have to remove my whole intake system to get at them? Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rise the car and attacked problem from below Nothing needs to be remove from below "For the temp solution" If you want to put a new one yes you need to remove things ... I did the temp solution thing with traps ... it takes around 10 -15 min ... I'm gonna leave it like that until the temp traps get break ... next time I buy the cables/connectors and maybe in the same visit to the mechanic a ACT clutch and a flywheel.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
by "traps" what do you mean? I have my car up on jackstands right now and I have the EXACT same problem with the cable. How did you repair this? Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
k fixed it, thanks for this thread, it was MOST helpful! I'll rep you!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
LOL when mine broke I used a few well placed zip-ties. Lasted for over a year 'til I finally replace the ends. Gawd I'm such a cheap ass.

The black part is the counterweight for the shift linkage and the cables are just to the passenger side of that and slightly towards the firewall. The air box will be in the way, but is pretty easy to remove, IIRC one hose clamp and it pretty much lifts out no bolts.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah I actually had to go in for underneath, as I have the PWSC on my SVT and there was a LOT of stuff I'd have to move. I didn't feel like fiddling with all that. Hopefully it holds a while, it was actually where the cables meet at the bracket, not at the cable ends

1 - 18 of 18 Posts