Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read the stickies but still can't figure out whether or not HID's are illegal in aftermarket housings. So, if not, where can I find HID lights w/ new housings for a 09' Focus Coupe?

·
Registered
915 Posts
No, most Focus aftermarket headlamps are Halogen Housings meaning Xenon HIDs are illegal in them. You'd have to do a retrofit on the headlamps and put in Xenon HID Projectors for proper HIDs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
HID's are "illegal" in any housing not specifically designed to use HID bulbs.

You need to check to see what your aftermarket housing is designed to accept. They should be able to tell you in the manufacturer's specifications or instructions.

I'm not sure if there are any plug and play aftermarket HID housings for an 09, but Unique Coatings offer a conversion service, that will give you a proper HID headlight.

http://www.unique-coatings.com/services.html

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
By DOT regulations, HIDs are illegal in any car not equipped from factory regardless of what kind of housing you're using even if it is a proper retrofit. You'll be fine doing a retro fit though. I'm pretty sure no one has ever gotten hassled for aftermarket HIDs unless they're in stock housings.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
It just depends on who ur talking to on here. I have Hids in my headlights and fogs and havent had any problems with them at all either with police or anyone. They are really bright and light up the road really well and all in my stock housings. No one likes them on here so just do what u want.

·
That Iowa Guy
6,147 Posts
^No one on here cares if you do HIDs right. By that I mean you get the proper projectors for them. If you do them half-assed and put them in stock lights they not only blind others on the road, they look stupid. Every time I see a car with HIDs in non-projector headlights I laugh because it's pure rice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
FocusFreak09, the OP question was with respect to the legality.

It is understood that many people do as you have described and fit HIDs into regular housings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts