Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 15 year old son just bought a 2003 Focus SE as he will be driving in a couple of months. The car is in excellent condition, he got a great deal on it.

Sorry this is so long, but I've been doing some extensive troubleshooting.

Only one problem, is that the left speakers on the sound system didn't work at all. Balance is set equally for left and right. So first we took the doors apart and tested the speakers on another system. Both left speakers work fine. I also metered the speaker wires at the back of the CD player, and all four ohmed out the same (3.9ohms) with the speakers hooked up. I tried hooking up the speakers directly to the back of the radio, and sure enough, there was no sound.

So, off we go to the wrecking yard and we found a CD Player and brought it home. SAME PROBLEM.

What are the chances that two radios would have the same issue? Next to nothing I figure. So I take the drivers door apart and check to see if the wiring is defective or something, but all looks well. Just for fun, I turn the radio on and ALL FOUR SPEAKERS ARE WORKING. We were quite jubilant and started to put the door together and all of a sudden the left channel stopped again. Long story short, as soon as we hook up the Power Windows master switch, the speakers on the left stop working! If you disconnect the window disconnect plug (black bottom connector on the switch), and press the UP button for the drivers window, the speakers will work! This makes no sense to me.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I took apart the master switch, all looks clean and fine in there.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Wiring fault in the flex harness to the driver's door would be my guess, prob. intermittently crossing wires there.

I'll move this to General Tech Chat for now, since multiple items are involved.

Welcome to FF!

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Wiring issue like said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you guys were right.

I fiddled around some more. Removed the GEM module, everything was super clean there. Put that all back together. Removed the twist-lock connectors on the front door, everything was fine. Wiggled and jiggled the boots as well to no avail.

I reached behind me to the back door boot and wiggled it and suddenly the speakers came to life, and have been fine ever since. Clearly there is a problem inside that boot, and I will have to figure out how to get it apart without ripping it. Any tips on that?

Must have some exposed wires in there I suspect. Funny, I wiggled that boot before but the radio was off at that time. Probably needed to get a good connection and then worked after that.

Thanks again. I will have to get my son to register on this forum so he can post questions if he ever needs to.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx for the update, Driver's door was my guess because of it's flexing more often (second only to hatch wiring for problems) but ya never know...

Wonder if a kiddies foot caught that rear door harness some time.

"Best" is prob. hardest - unhook enough in the door to feed some wire out to give more slack to play with. Peel back for a look first to see how deep you need to get into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts