Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a known issue with the stock stereo that causes the left side speakers to go out? I lost both, and it doesn't matter whether I'm playing the radio or a CD. The schematic shows that the left front and left rear are wired independently, and I haven't lost any other electrical functions. Before tearing the door apart, I thought I'd check for a known issue with the stereo itself. Thanks.

Toby

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
You did not mention checking the stereo menu for Balance.

If I was you, I would removed the head unit and perform an ohms check of all speakers at this spot, -this would confirm if all speaker wiring is or is not intact.

FYI - My radio was sometimes loosing all sound, pulled out the head unit, re-seated connectors, worked for 1 year... then problem returned. Looking closer, I found the harness was being bent/tweaked when the head was installed... this tweak was making the connector & head unit fight each-other. I twisted and bent the harness so it would not have the same tweak it did previously. I feel good that (most of) the problem has been solved.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked for balance, and that's normal. (If I fade it to the left, I get near silence.) I considered checking the harness as you described, but then I read there's an anti-theft feature that makes reinstallation tricky. I need a code or something?

Toby

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Yeah, can't help, I have no experience with when/why that code is needed, but I have heard about it. No code needed on mine, plus the head holds tuner presets even after having my head unit disconnected for several minutes. It must have a battery/cap/tank circuit of some sort, allowing it to hold info.

I am guessing you can pull out and re-install your head unit for a little while and have no problems. If wrong, send me a bill.

I once had my car battery out for almost 2 days and this made the radio tuner presets go bye-bye. This taught me that my OEM head unit does not hold tuner presets data like a EPROM. EEPROM, Flash Memory or similar flavored chip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you tried this quality method of speaker wiring?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Car Audio for more looks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts