Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got all of my LED's for the '07 and started on the passenger side.

I put in the reverse lights, OK no problem, nice.
I put in the rear tail bulb... EWW, first off it flashes fast (due to less current draw) second the LED is dimmer than the old bulb, cause it doesn't
reflect off of the rear of the lense.

I then put in the front turn LED, looks nice, but again confused the heck out of the circuit.
only flashes with hazard lights, and when the parking lights are on, the console flash indicator is lit. lol
All probably due to the current sensor (or whatever)

MY QUESTIONS:
1: would one of those rectangular (?) 360 degree 3157 LED's
make my tails brighter? or can I leave the old bulbs there
(even though the rest are led's, and dont want ANY normal bulbs)

2: What do I do about the current sensor? somone mentioned a new
"LED compatible" turn signal relay... what and where is it?
would this solve my problem with adding all LED's?

please help, I need to get this project done, and the car
out of the garage, back on the road.

[whip]

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
yaaaa i did the same thing with the front signals. they worked for about half a day until something melted in the bulb and current was going where it shouldnt. put the stock bulbs back in and itll fix it. the problem is all the turn signals/tail lights run through a modual that monitors current draw. es gay. theres pretty much no way to use led signals unless you get high quality ones or make your own circuitry (which ive been thinking about doing)

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
that is incorrect. you can buy "load equalizers" from advance auto. maybe autozone. for about 12 bucks. they look like rectangular ceramic tubes with wires on them . they are resistors that make a higher load in the circuit and stop the module from freaking out.

i had a set in my car. just be sure to wire them right and in an area with some airspace because they can get as hot as incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
They should work. I assume they do the same thing as the ones i've bought in the past. You can get them at autozone or advance auto maybe pep boys....... but if you'd rather buy em from ebay then yes.

and yes one for each side

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The "load equalizers" are the way to go to satisfy the module. As far the the 3157 LED's, there probably bigger than the stock bulbs. The thing about LEDs is that you have to pay attn to not only the lumens but also the angle (some are narrow beam, some are wide beam). regarding the rears, I would think that without benefit of the reflector however they would appear to be very dim as the light is not concentrated/directed towards drivers to your rear. The have to be pretty bright to overcome direct sunlight as an example.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the load equalizers, gonna hook up the front first, since I am putting the blackout headlights in.

The tails are the problem, as the LEDs dont direct the light to the reflector
the tails are dimmer with LEDs than with the regular bulbs...
I found these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/360-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

360 degree bulbs, is there reflective material all the way from the rear of the lense housing up to the red lense?
would one of these work?
or even the short ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/360-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The tails are the problem, as the LEDs dont direct the light to the reflector
the tails are dimmer with LEDs than with the regular bulbs...

360 degree bulbs, is there reflective material all the way from the rear of the lense housing up to the red lense?
would one of these work?
or even the short ones?
This is the problem with trying to 'upgrade' from bulbs to LED, the reflectors were made for bulbs. Soooo! In short, I don't know. Bulbs are a single point of light, LED clusters are multiple points dispersed over distance. If the LED clusters are similair in size to the bulbs (and there light output in omni-directional) then I would think they would work. But there as so many variables......
The only way I ever reasoned how to do this using the OE taillight assy is to use 1 (and only 1) of the very new, very expensive, very high intensity LED shining into the reflector (not outward as you would expect). But these LED are (or were?) hard to get (at retail), require a heat sink etc. It might actually be cheaper to purchase aftermarket LED taillights and mod them for durability and longevity (I.E. > IMHO, there cheaply made with no included circuitry to insure they don't burn out prematurely, have consistent output etc). [wiggle] In other words, you got the tail of the dragon, so go ahead and try it and report what you get if your willing. [:)]

·
Registered
302 Posts
nnnn

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
There is even a small section on the site dedicated to the issues of converting.
Yup! Especially read there very good little blurb "Brightness of LED Car Bulbs". I really liked the LED comparison to a flashlight. These LED 'clusters' are not going to work as well as a good old incandescent for retrofitting. At least not the currently available crop. [wiggle]

edit: I just did a quick check. no change in available modules that I could find. The focus remains on replacement LED bulbs for the home. Also. suggest you search for "MSCP to lumens" which should find posts on the differences between LED and incandescent lighting specs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts