Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I think the next thing that I wanna do is hook up some LEDs in my air vents. I've browsed around and found some how-to's, but they talk about wiring in a resistor and stuff... which I have no experience with. So, my question is, could I just buy THESE and then wire them up to my 12v source? I don't wanna blow them or anything, but I'd just like to throw these in there and then wire 'em up. Would this work?

Thanks, and +Rep for helpful answers! [ffrocks]
- Spyder

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hope that just plugging those into a 12v source would work. Anyone else know forsure?

Then I found THESE like 2 seconds ago, they say all over the place that you can just wire 'em up to a 12v source and they will be ready. But, these look kinda big, and do give off alot of light. Which would you guys recommend? I think I'd rather go with the ones I had in my first post because they are smaller and won't be too big of a distraction, soooo does anyone else know for sure if the ones in my first post will be ready after wired to a 12v source?

Thanks, and +Rep for you Hawkeye :]

[ffrocks]

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think the Superflux would be overkill inside the car. The idea behind vent lights is to add accent lighting, not "hey lets blind everyone in the car with so much color" lighting. :) But that's my take on it personally. Somehere on here there is a thread that goes into the best way to install lights ... including removing the butterfly piece that closes the vent completely (With the little slider thing at the top of the vent) ... when you do that, you actually get like a couple of holes you can put the lights into.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
superflux WOULD be over kill... i have 1 5mm in mine and its great....

hook it up using an add a fuse in your fuse box, wire it to a switch and ground it... the pre-wired leds in your first link have resistors on them already so your good to go!

Reactions: _spyder

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have the ones you posted in the first post I love them this is what they look like I have two in each vent

·
Registered
936 Posts
As far as doing an add a circuit ... that is one idea, but I think better would be tapping into the dash lights, so that they come on and off when you turn on the headlights, but that's just me.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
^^with the exception of the fact that its illegal to have blue and red atleast for sure that would be a good idea... i personally just prefer to flip a switch... on off...

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
superflux WOULD be over kill... i have 1 5mm in mine and its great....

hook it up using an add a fuse in your fuse box, wire it to a switch and ground it... the pre-wired leds in your first link have resistors on them already so your good to go!

Thanks! +Rep

I just ordered 20 of the 5mm prewired blue ones off eBay for a total of $7.99.
And like you said, I will probably wire it up to an Add-A-Circuit. I already got the Add-A-Circuit, but I just gotta get it hooked up and working (hopefully I can figure that out)

But thanks guys, and I appreciate all the help/input [ffrocks]

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
no problem, if you have any more ?'s just ask...

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I would try the silver spray or something to that effect. The reason behind my thinking is that I would'nt want to see the foil all wrinkled reflecting the light but a nice coat of paint and clear would make that thing reflect light alot better I think IMO

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i taped the backs off and spray painted a silver/ chrome in mine... cant see it at all from in the car only when you take stuff apart

1 - 14 of 14 Posts