Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I thought I read everything there was to read this mod (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27262 ), but maybe not.

I got a set of 3mm Blue LEDs they are 5500mcd.

Question 1: I don't see them lit. I did not remove the old one, I just wanted to check the brightness, so I had the new LED connected to the same points the old one was. Nothing. Maybe I made the +/- mistake... changed sides, still nothing. I had some extras, so what I did was not use the resistor inside the switch. The thing flashed, and seemingly burnt out. I am fairly certain it said to keep the resistor in.

Question 2: I have an 05 ZX4. Not sure, but the how-to is a bit different than what I see. In any case when I look at the way the LED is connected to the resistor and the other end of the LED... they are not soldered. They look almost crimped one to another. I tried desoldering, tried "snapping" them off by applying pressure as heating, still nothing. I can cut the leads, as I am not planning on saving the old LEDs, but because of #1 I am a bit nervous to do the first one.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, you should see the LEDs light up when you apply power. If not, you may have one or both of them in backwards. The LEDs are in series, so if one is backwards, the whole circuit will not work, just like a strand of Christmas lights. If you closely inspect the LED from the side, you should be able to match up the contours of the internal conductors. This is how I keep the polarity straight.

The resisitor and the LED leads are most likely connected with a method different than regular soldering. They may be connected using a process called ultrasonic welding (or something similar). I bet the new process is faster and less expensive than the soldering that you & I might do. Who knows, maybe soldering gives off too many gasses, and they had to clean up the plant that this is done at for emission reasons.

I had to cut the LED lead at the joint and solder the new LED at that point. Just make sure to keep the polarity the same & you'll do fine.

Running an LED w/o a resistor is a sure way to burn it up quickly, as you probably have experienced first hand.

Hope that helps.

I do know that [email protected] is offering an LED switch conversion kit. It can be seen here

1 - 3 of 3 Posts