Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

We have had several people PM us regarding the LED Upgrade bulbs we sell. Many of the PM have been aimed at finding a way to install LEDs into the third brake light.

We took one of our stock 3rd brake lights we use for tinting, and tore it down and with very slight modification, were able to create a 100% functional OEM looking LED third brake light. We are able to use two different LED configurations. The first is a 1 LED 3 Chip version, and the other is a 5 SMD 3 Chip version.

It was late in the day when we completed this, so we will get pictures later today/tonight to show the difference between the two bulb styles.

Long story short, we are able to provide you LEDs for your third brake lights. Again, there is a slight modification, but it is minor and still retains the ability to switch back to the OEM halogen bulbs if for some reason you would ever want to.

-Unique Coatings.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
How much are these going to go for?? I have a tinted 3rd light and would rather not be without it or have to buy an entirely new one if at all possible.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
ooo im interested...

pics please!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get pics tonight.

If you are interested in the mod, all you truely need is to purchase the LED bulbs from us. They come in packs of 2, so you would have 1 spare to use somewhere else on the car (sorry, only sold as pairs). The 5 LEDs that need to be installed in place of the halogens have a slight clearance issue, so they must be clearanced to fit in the housing. It is a very minor mod, but if you do not feel comfortable in doing the clearancing, we would do it for you at no charge if you were to send in the 3rd brake light to us.

Pricing is as follows:

T10 1 LED 1 Chip $7.50 (pr) CW/R/B
T10 3 Chip 3 Chip $11.00 (pr) CW/R/B
T10 5 LED 1 Chip $12.00 (pr) CW/R/B
T10 5 SMD 3 Chip $21.00 (pr) CW/R/B

Price is per pair, and again, you would have to purchase 3 sets to complete the tail light mod (5 bulbs in the third brake light).

The bulbs carry a lifetime warranty against failure, and there is a 9 dollar flat rate shipping charge.

For example, if you wanted to purchase the T10 1 Chip 1 LED model, cost would be $7.50 x 3 = 22.50 + 9 shipping = 31.50

We again, if you wanted to send us your third brake light for modification and installation of the bulbs, we would do it for no charge.

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
What is the difference between the 4 options? And what is CW/R/B ?

How difficult is modding the housing? Is it a matter of breaking out the dremel? Or what?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The difference is that an SMD is brighter than an LED. Now, within each SMD or LED, you have a varying number of "chips" - light emitting sources. The higher the chip count, the higher the LED/SMD output.

CW- Cool White
R- Red
B - Blue

I would recommend red, as they will maintain a brighter appearance through a red lens.

The modification is using a sanding drum or other device to clearance the holes the LEDs/SMDs fit into. You need to widen it by roughly 1/16 of an inch.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont see why the sedan couldn't have the same modification. internally, it is essentially the same design.

i'll post pictures shortly.

·
Haterz gonna Hate
2,156 Posts
awesome i will be waiting! [thumb]

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry for taking so long to take pics. here are a few. On the left are the T10 1 LED 3 chip lights, and on the right side are the T10 5 SMD 3 chips. If you remove the reflector for the halogen bulbs the LEDs will be more pronounced:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try and post a few videos as well, that show how much quicker brake light response you get. Keep in mind, 2 on the left are different from the two on the right. There is no center bulb, so to allow for separation.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
ooo... i might wanna pick up some of these....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Snack - the reflector is a chrome housing basically for each of the five halogen bulbs. Since that reflector is still inside the lens, it is reflecting the LEDs like a halogen. If the reflector was removed, you would get much more of a LED look, and not a bunch of additional "noise" as i call it. You'll essentially have zero reflectance from the reflector bowls and have a true-look LED setup.

does that make sense?

sorry, hard to explain.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
damn those are bright! very nice job cbrenn! i enjoy my ebay 6 led bulb ones, they match my tails [:D]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts