Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a pair of LED hatch tails on ebay... they were supposed to be direct plug in's, however they are not. I bought the correct connectors (I think...) and some salvaged wiring harnesses.

I've spent the better part of today doing some trial and error wiring and all I've been able to accomplish is having them light up when the lights are on... no brake or turn signal operation. Does anybody know what the three tail light wires do? There's a black one; a blue one; and an orange one with a white stripe (on the standard Focus wire harness).

The reverse lights plug in and work as they should, and I'm hoping that box on the inside of the light is a load resistor. Anyway, if anyone can help me out it would be appreciated. I've searched on here and Focaljet and haven't found anything useful...

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I gave up I put the standard lights back in... I did blow the fuse for the running lights, but not the brake or turn signals. What fuse is that, by the way... 7.5A for 57 & 58?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was thinking about buying the same tail lights. When you get your lights hooked up could you post some pics of your lights on and brakes on. I herd that there was a problem with the blinker, hyper blink. Good luck.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Use a test light and check. i believe the blue one is signal/brake and the orange one is running light. Not positive but I did the euro lighting mod and I beleive thats what it was. But just check and turn the lights on. Just keep in mind that the brake and signal wires are the same thing when your checking it all out.

·
Registered
743 Posts
What was the problem? Im looking to get this tail light also.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
I was looking into getting these lights as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I was wiring them, I did a test run without anything covering the bare wires (just to make sure they'd work before crimping) one or more of the bare wires must have shorted the connection (and blew the fuses as well, maybe). when I tried the connections without the light being in place, it worked (after having the running and brake/turn wires switched around).

these lights do seem pretty good for the price, however, you'll need two of the bayonnet style connectors - $6 at Autozone; 2 load resistors -$10 on the internet; 2 spare wiring harneses from the scrap yard (if you want to switch back to your stock lights easily); and some silicone to seal the two lamp sockets.

also note that there is almost zero slack to the connector for the LED's... I managed to pop one of the LED's out of place while trying to make the connection... whoops!

at this point, I'm still waiting for my resistors to show up... then I'll have to figure out where they can be positioned, so as not melt anything...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts