Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen another member put some DRL leds on his car and i thought they looked pretty sharp. So i decided that i was going to do the same but i made a circuit so they are on all the time and didnt want to spend $200. I plan on installing them this weekend. If it all works out i might be willing to make some more kits for people if anyone is interested. I will upload pics when im done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I finished installing them this weekend. Works perfect turn on when car is running and turn off when car is turn off :) Thanks for the great idea.

·
Registered
210 Posts
nice... if you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on that and how long did it take to fit them and get them to work?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well done, I was thinking of doing something like this and running them off a relay.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing how long these last for you. I had a friend buy a cheapie set for his A4 to replicate S6 LEDs and he went through two sets in about 3-4 months. They don't hold up to rain and heat very well.

I think the Phillips ones will last a much longer time, they're also much more expensive. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea if they don't last I will upgrade and buy better ones , I'm sure there are good quality ones not near the price of the Phillips kits
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yea if they don't last I will upgrade and buy better ones , I'm sure there are good quality ones not near the price of the Phillips kits
Posted via FF Mobile
This,

I've had good luck and bad luck with cheep stuff off Ebay. For 18 dollars I'll give them a try.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I finished installing them this weekend. Works perfect turn on when car is running and turn off when car is turn off :) Thanks for the great idea.

/farview.jpg[/IMG]
Normally I am not into modding, but I do want that. It's almost Audi-ish.

Very Nice Job!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Nice job! Can't beat the price. I hope they last, but even if they don't it's only a few dollars to replace them.

Tony

·
Registered
459 Posts
Normally I am not into modding, but I do want that. It's almost Audi-ish.

Very Nice Job!
I'm in the same boat! I'm too unknowledged in cars and uninterested to mod in most cases, but those LED lights just make the car look a whole new class.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My circuit that i made was flawed, they must have a clutch that limits the voltage coming out of the alternator. I noticed my lights were off when i was driving. So I found a OBD 2 cable sitting around the lab and connected it to a voltage meter, used the VBATT and ground. Watched it the whole way home. At 70 mph steady I was getting 12.89v and it would jump when the a/c compressor would turn on. it changes a lot as i was driving, 12.6-14v. When you really get on the car it drops down to what seems to be battery voltage 12.6 volts. So i got a relay and connected it one of the empty spots in the fuse box under the hood and used it to power the coil on the relay to close it when the key is on and car is running. Seems to be working fine now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My DRL mod... Thanks for the idea guys. Forgot to mention... I tapped the power mirror fuse for power. It is switched 10A.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts