Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a few hours in the garage today on my latest exterior appearance mod. I purchased some 16mm black aluminum flush mount amber pilot LEDs and installed them in the honeycomb grill of my 15 Focus SE. The F150 raptors have these and I've always thought they looked cool.

I used 5/8" drill bit and a file to slightly round out three of the existing honeycomb holes in the grill. Then I removed it (you have to pull harder than you'd think to pop that thing out but it does come out with some persuasion). I used the mounting nuts that came with the LEDs to secure them from the backside, and then used clear silicone adhesive on the threads and around the barrel of the LED to secure it to the grill. Some 22 guage speaker wire and split wire loom joined them all together and I routed them up to the under hood fuse box. I used a fuse tap on F42 (rear windshield wiper) for the positive, and grounded to the existing ground strap by the fuse box at the firewall. I had to make a small incision in the firewall side of the fuse box so my fuse tap wire would come out without affecting the fuse box lid and latch. Sealed it all up with heat shrink tubing, zip ties, and split loom and it looks factory. They come on when the car is running and accentuate the stock LED DRLs nicely. Hard to see in bright sunlight but that is to be expected. They were $3 each from China but are bright and feel like solid quality units.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts