Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have been thinking about picking up a set of the LED grill inserts like the ones shown below for my SE sedan

I am assuming everyone gets them off of eBay or is there a different place people use? Also is there a prefered seller since there are many listings for the same product?

How difficult is it to install them also? I am assuming it cannot be that hard but am just curious

Thanks in advance

Mikey.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I had some, the leds were nice and bright but the gloss black started to look like it was fading after a year or so. looked like peeling clear coat almost. You have to cut a big chunk of reinforcing plastic out from behind the triangles too.

They look really cool though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have them on my car, I love them. I highly recommend them since they are only like $50-60

I had a local shop install them since a very small amount of cutting needed to be done, but it was very easy from what he told me. And I have them wired in to turn on as soon as I turn on the car and turn off when the car turns off. I did not connect the 50% dim wire that dims these LEDs when your low beams turn on, but you can do that. They are very bright and visible during the day and look like they came on the car from the factory.

Be sure if you do buy a set to get the correct ones as your car either has the matte black grill or glossy black grill. You want it to match your center grill piece

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much guys!

Adrian seeing your car with them on the mafia page is what keeps making me want them!

I remember you mentioning the Matte vs the gloss, but on all the ones I look at it never says which they are (and I know pictures can be deceiving). I have a Tux Black car so it has the matte grill

Thanks for all the info so far guys. Is the cutting that has to be done due to getting the old triangles out or why is it needed?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I know what I am doing going in

Mikey.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I recall a thread on here about what you need to cut with pictures, I'll try to find it when I get home and link it for ya. You'll have to message the sellers regarding the matte DRLs. You don't want the gloss ones because that will look very wierd unless you change your center grill with a gloss one. I have seen the matte DRLs on eBay but it took some searching but I know they are out there. Maybe on Amazon too

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recall a thread on here about what you need to cut with pictures, I'll try to find it when I get home and link it for ya. You'll have to message the sellers regarding the matte DRLs. You don't want the gloss ones because that will look very wierd unless you change your center grill with a gloss one. I have seen the matte DRLs on eBay but it took some searching but I know they are out there. Maybe on Amazon too
Thanks Adrian, I will try to look for the thread too!

Mikey.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey guy, which headlights are those. ? Thanks
Probably stock Titanium headlights he opened the casing himself and added the LED strip.

thats my guess.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been all over Ebay and Amazon, seems that none of them say if it is matte or gloss. I remember when I first looked a few months back they did but not anymore. They had pictures of black models like mine with them and you could tell they were gloss

Anyone have any input on finding a matte set?

Mikey.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I finally ran across a Matte set on Amazon. Seems like these would be the right ones? These do not say they come with the control module which I should need tho right? I am all new to LED lights

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B014P858P4/ref=mp_s_a_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1472177555&sr=8-41&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ford+focus+led+daytime+running+lights&dpPl=1&dpID=415fvg1tpeL&ref=plSrch

This one lists that the controller comes with it. Guess more Matte ones came onto the market?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/371579293288

Mikey.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think I finally ran across a Matte set on Amazon. Seems like these would be the right ones? These do not say they come with the control module which I should need tho right? I am all new to LED lights

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B014P858P4/ref=mp_s_a_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1472177555&sr=8-41&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ford+focus+led+daytime+running+lights&dpPl=1&dpID=415fvg1tpeL&ref=plSrch

This one lists that the controller comes with it. Guess more Matte ones came onto the market?

2CAR LED Daytime Running Light FOR Ford Focus Lamp DRL 2011 2012 2013 2014 MA248 | eBay

Mikey.
That ebay listing you shared says it is Matte, so those should work. If you get those, after you receive, compare them to your current grill to make sure they match, and if for some reason they dont, send them back to the seller since his description says matte

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Adrian! My parents said they are looking for something to get me for a Christmas gift, so I think these will be it

Mikey.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OEM HID Headlights

My lights are the OEM HID ST3 lights. If anyone is interested in getting a pair, I can be of assistance as I know where to get them
I would be interested.

I have a '12 "S" Sedan.
Q1: Will these housing fit without any cutting (on either the housings or on the vehicle itself)?
Q2: I am assuming that I'll need an "ignitor" or a "ballast" to fire the HID's? (yes?)
Q3: Will I need to do any cutting / splicing of the headlamp harness to make these HID's work properly? If so, is there a "How-to..."?
Q4: How much $?

Thanks! Enjoy the Focus, but I'm a firm believer in throwing as much usable / effective lighting down-road as I can get...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would be interested.

I have a '12 "S" Sedan.
Q1: Will these housing fit without any cutting (on either the housings or on the vehicle itself)?
Q2: I am assuming that I'll need an "ignitor" or a "ballast" to fire the HID's? (yes?)
Q3: Will I need to do any cutting / splicing of the headlamp harness to make these HID's work properly? If so, is there a "How-to..."?
Q4: How much $?

Thanks! Enjoy the Focus, but I'm a firm believer in throwing as much usable / effective lighting down-road as I can get...
Great questions my friend, Id be happy to assist you.

1. The ST3 Headlights fit perfectly on all 2012-2014 Focus's, including ST and Electric. They have the same 2 mounting points for the screws and same plug for the factory plug harness. No cutting on the housings or vehicle is needed what so ever.

2. You will not need any additional HID components, no ballasts or igniters. ST3 Lights already come with the ballast screwed on the bottom of the headlamp and the igniter is already built in to the D8S bulb that they come with.

3. You will need to do some splicing. Ill make it brief here but can go into detail if you do decide to go this route. Basically, you will need to ground 3 wires from each headlight. I spliced all 3 wires in each headlight and grounded them on a screw above the top headlamp screw. The wires are numbered on the harness and the wires needed to ground are both the #9 wires (there are two of them), and the #6 wire. After splicing them, I fed them through one of the rubber caps and to ground. Also, you will need to use FoCCCus to change the BCM settings to run 'Alternate HID' and I think remove the dipped beam error. If you do it like this, these ligths will work perfectly with no issues at all.

4. This is the reason many MK3 owners avoid this mod, they are not cheap. If you buy these lights brand new directly from Ford, you will be paying around $1800+ per headlamp! Also, other online OEM retailers will have them brand new from around $1200+ each as well.

You will want to buy these used online. Either ebay, Facebook Focus groups. ST Forums, maybe even a wrecking yard may have a set. Expect to pay around $800 give or take for these lights. If you buy a set, make absolute sure that they have good lenses, no big scratches, no chips, no broken or missing tabs, because alot of them on ebay are damaged, so shop very carefully. I got lucky and got each lamp from 2 separate sellers and one of them was brand new and the other was nearly perfect as well. No flaws at all.

Let me know if you have any more questions

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have them on my car, I love them. I highly recommend them since they are only like $50-60

I had a local shop install them since a very small amount of cutting needed to be done, but it was very easy from what he told me. And I have them wired in to turn on as soon as I turn on the car and turn off when the car turns off. I did not connect the 50% dim wire that dims these LEDs when your low beams turn on, but you can do that. They are very bright and visible during the day and look like they came on the car from the factory.

Be sure if you do buy a set to get the correct ones as your car either has the matte black grill or glossy black grill. You want it to match your center grill piece
Where’d you get the LED grill inserts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts