Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Old thread, but at least on the 2002 Focus sedan, if you change the rear brakes lights, cruise control won't engage unless you use load resistors.

Correct. Uses the brake light signal to turn off the cruise control. So if it thinks the bulb is burn out(or led) it will disable cruise control for safety reasons.

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did a full set of LED's on the back end of my '12 hatch and absolutely love them. But I haven't done my signals on the front - I have bulbs and resistors, but I'm not sure where to mount the resistors where I won't be worried about melting plastic. Any suggestions?

Here's my back end, with resistors mounted:

·
Registered
855 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most excellent. Thanks for the info!

EDIT:

Tried to wire in another set of 6ohm's in parallel behind the tail lights - didn't fix the fast-blink. The resistor got hot, so it had a good connection, but they still blinked really quickly. I'll order some 3ohm's and update on progress when they get here in a few days.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Might need help from someone with more experience. Two 6-ohms in parallel and a single 3-ohm is the same resistance, so if the two 6's didn't work, I wouldn't expect the three's to work either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I swapped my brake bulbs and front turn signal bulbs both with LEDs with no load resistors and the only "problem" I have had is the turn signal blinks slightly faster. All lights illuminate properly otherwise, cruise works fine, etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You don't need 50 and 80 watt bulbs.

I think it might be a generation thing.

The 2002 Focus SE Sedan runs cruise control through the brake lights. Cruise will not work if you replace the brake bulbs with LED's unless you use load resistors.

On the 08 - CC might work without load resistors - I'll take your word for it.

On all cars you would need load resistors to fix hyperflashing. On the 2002, there is a conventional flasher (built into the hazard switch so non-replacable), but the lights are off the same circuit - so a pair of load resistors in the trunk should work for both front and rear bulbs. I think the 2008 would be the same.

The Gen III (2012-up) uses CANBUS which means you get a LF Turn Signal Out indication if the bulb burns out, so they are probably on separate circuits and you would have probably have to install load reisistors under the hood. They don't get super-hot, but you don't want them touching plastic. Should be able to mount them to the underside of the radiator support or the inside of the fender or similar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You don't need 50 and 80 watt bulbs.

I think it might be a generation thing.

The 2002 Focus SE Sedan runs cruise control through the brake lights. Cruise will not work if you replace the brake bulbs with LED's unless you use load resistors.

On the 08 - CC might work without load resistors - I'll take your word for it.

On all cars you would need load resistors to fix hyperflashing. On the 2002, there is a conventional flasher (built into the hazard switch so non-replacable), but the lights are off the same circuit - so a pair of load resistors in the trunk should work for both front and rear bulbs. I think the 2008 would be the same.

The Gen III (2012-up) uses CANBUS which means you get a LF Turn Signal Out indication if the bulb burns out, so they are probably on separate circuits and you would have probably have to install load reisistors under the hood. They don't get super-hot, but you don't want them touching plastic. Should be able to mount them to the underside of the radiator support or the inside of the fender or similar.
Yeah, that part I'm planning on - I have mount points picked out already. But the wires equivalent to what I used in the back signals are inside the closed headlamp housing. I just don't know exactly where to tie into the wires outside of the headlamp housing - i.e. of the wires coming out of the plug on the back of the housing, which are the appropriate signal and ground wires to which I should connect. I've had a hard time finding wiring diagrams (maybe because I haven't done this without one of our wonderful write-ups and don't know exactly where to look).

·
Registered
19 Posts
i know this is old but can anyone please help me with wiring my 2012 sedan resistors? i have a thread already. I just found this one today.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts