Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a site that sells these, and am interested in installing LED brake lights after reading an article discussing how the human eye reacts faster to the LED than a typical brake light. While I can control what I do, if I can get the guy behind me to react quicker, then I'm a little safer.

Has anyone done this yet? Curious if I need anything more than the replacement bulb since they draw less power.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Only ones I have were on www.european-parts.net and they looked really really strange! They removed them off their website, probably for lack of sales. Also, people might react quicker to a LED light but it's nothing worth what I would call a definitely safer option. What, they react 0.0234 seconds faster, yeah that is going to save your rear bumper....

Also, I don't know anyone that has done this, nobody on here that I know of. Do you got a link to the website? Curious to see what these ones look like......

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have replacement hyper bright red LED 'bulbs' on mine. The biggest issue I have is the difference between on and birght (ie parking light to brake/turn) is hard to see. You might be able to find another brand/manufacturer that works better. They are plenty bright enough and are definitely quicker. You will need a load equalizer to keep the blinker from going haywire, I got the 6ohm. I'm careful not to leave my turn signals on very long, because those equalizers get HOT! The LEDs also are more red, the stock bulbs look kinda orange next to them. These are what I have, #3157. Make sure you get some like these with some of the LEDs facing the reflector or they wont show up well. I could try to take some pics if you want.
I saw something on FocalJet yesterday that I would be really interested in, there is a company that is working on full LED taillight housings similar to Caddy or Infinity for the Focus. That is what I have been looking for all along, hopefully they will be ready for ordering by this fall.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here is a pic of my LED tail light 'bulb'. It looks orange in the pic, but it is verry red, no hint of orange at all.
To try and show what I meant about there being little difference between taillight and brake, here is an AVI of my brake/tail lamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
How did you install your load resistors? I got LEDS for the rear and installed the load capacitors and I still get the hyperflash. Could anyone take a pic of what wires you spliced into and all so I can check?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts