Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on eBay doing my weekly search for 2012 Focus items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...00641793007&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

I then called LeBra as I could not find this item on their site, and the original picture was of a 2011 Focus, that was posted on eBay.

LeBra has confirmed the correct part number as listed in this posting, and the seller has updated his post to reflect the correct picture, as provided from LeBra.

LeBra wants 99.99 plus shipping and eBay is 69.99 for same item or you can search internet for the part number which I have confirmed from LeBra as being #551295-01

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just finished a 5000 km trip through the mid west in 106f weather. I have the 3m finish on the hood only and up to 23" from bottom of hood.

First 2000 km guess what rock chip center lower of windshield. 2 days later found rock repair place in vegas and I am on my way. 4000 km later ping ping pong, second rock chip this time right center of windshield, made mistake of using an idiot in Bellingham mall for repair now I have an off white repair.

Yesterday wash and wax car, only to see about 10-15 small chips in windshield and nice rock chip on drivers door.

For the small price of $70.00 I probably could have avoided the majority of this then simply removed the bra after my long try until the next time.

I admit they are ugly but I make this trip every year and this is the first vehicle without frontal protection and now it looks like I was in a stone throwing contest and was the recipient of everyones stones.

·
Registered
967 Posts
oh god. no.

makes me think of a gimp mask. maybe in my younger days but not something i'd get now.. [}:)]
lol...you made me spit out some of my drink

·
Registered
636 Posts
If I wanted my car to have a bra I'd just borrow one from my girlfriend; much more street cred. In all seriousness though, that thing is ugly. It just covers too many of the parts that make it look good in the first place.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Nice to see this product is now available for the '12 Focus as I had been wondering about availability (not avail when I checked last month). I have been looking for a "temporary" type protection since I feel all protection methods have some diminishing effect. I don't really want anything (including the 3M clear film) on there when I am "showing" the car, taking pictures...showing off.

From another thread, someone pointed to this product and I ended up ordering it. Less protection (hood only) than this bra but less potential side effects and not quite as detrimental to appearance.
http://magnetbra.com/bras.html

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
You do not want to put a bra on your car. If you want to protect your paint, get a clear vinyl kit to cover the paint up. A bra will cause scratches. The bra itself is ok, but dirt gets under it, and the wind grinds it into the paint.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You do not want to put a bra on your car. If you want to protect your paint, get a clear vinyl kit to cover the paint up. A bra will cause scratches. The bra itself is ok, but dirt gets under it, and the wind grinds it into the paint.

I think that's true of the std bra.The Magnabra make a pretty strong case that it will NOT do that. (No I don't work for them, I just think their page just makes a pretty strong argument.) And, I have asked this several times (with no answer) but I am not convinced that the clear vinyl will not eventually show signs of wear. Then what? How easy is it to remove and can you do so with the paint still in mint condition?

·
Registered
781 Posts
i've been using 3m film for years. it will come up without any problem after being on for years except for 2 things. (1) the film will be ruined and can not be re-applied. (2) the paint underneath will look brand new while the rest of your paint will have aged. can look wrong, depending on the color. (3) if not sealed down the edges can peel or collect dirt. you have to be careful in cleaning (wipe from the 3m surface outwards) so you don't peel it up. once you start getting a peel you're generally screwed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i've been using 3m film for years. it will come up without any problem after being on for years except for 2 things. (1) the film will be ruined and can not be re-applied. (2) the paint underneath will look brand new while the rest of your paint will have aged. can look wrong, depending on the color. (3) if not sealed down the edges can peel or collect dirt. you have to be careful in cleaning (wipe from the 3m surface outwards) so you don't peel it up. once you start getting a peel you're generally screwed.
Thanks scottjl as I think your experience will help many make a decision on the best front end paint protection.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I professionally install clear bras.. 3M's material is UV stable, however it does not block UV's from passing, which still allows the original paint to fade naturally with the rest of the car... Once the bra is removed, if the car looks new underneath, thats because it is...it just gives you an indication of how much youve been neglecting the rest of the paint on the car... have a polish done to the rest of the vehicle, and it will look fine. It is not a clear vinyl, but an 8mil layer of clear urethane that is puncture resistant.. Seriously, I cant poke a key through it..They even offer a thicker solution (20mil), although its not near as conforming as the 8mil, making the install much more difficult.. Anybody thinking about a LeBra needs to SERIOUSLY reconsider their plan of attack, as they will only make things worse, even for short temporary rides.. Just imagine taking a rag filled with dirt and rubbing it continuously back and forth in the same spot on your paint.
The clear bra is hands down the best option for paint protection on the market....AND YES, i DO work for them.

·
Registered
781 Posts
had 3m material on a car for 5 years. when the 3m came off it was noticeable the paint protected did not age as much as the rest of the hood. it wasn't a serious fade difference, but it didn't look the same. the 3m material is absorbing some, but not all, of the UV. no way around it, it's an extra layer the light has to travel through.

if you want the best (imho) paint protection and money is not an issue, then the 3m film, installed by a professional, is the way to go. and the more surface you can cover the better. i've seen cars with the entire hood and front end covered in the film. cheaper installs obviously just have smaller strips.

that magnet bra sounds interesting, and if it works as advertised it will keep dirt from getting underneath and prevent the whole sandpaper issue. it will protect the leading edge of the hood, but nothing else. you will have paint fade issues if you keep it on long-term (as the UV light can not penetrate it). i'd also take it off and clean up around it maybe a few times a year, depending on if any dirt does sneak around the edges. not having one it's hard to make a call on that.

those cloth bras should be avoided at all costs unless your car is already a few years old, has significant damage, and you just want to cover it up and hide it (and cause further damage in the future).

wind deflectors (bug defectors) offer more protection against bugs than they do rocks, but it is something over nothing. cheaper quality ones can flex and bend and possibly cause scratching. the spacers you install can cause small issues with the paint where they are located. they are less likely to cause paint issues over the larger area of the hood though. by re-directing more air-flow up and over the vehicle the bugs are more likely to miss, flying rocks and such may be diverted depending on their speed, mass, etc. 3m film/bras will not re-direct any incoming objects, only try to limit the damage on their impact.

i've had 3m film on several vehicles as well as wind/bug deflectors. given that i live in a rural area and encounter far more bugs than trucks kicking up rocks i'm going with a deflector on my focus. i'm already racking up a lot of corpses on the car (especially the flat air intake area and license plate) and would prefer as many as possible to go over the car instead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts