Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about purchasing a leased car:
1. Is the price absolutely non negotiable?
2. The dealer is asking for $500 on top of the buyout price quoted by FordCredit
3. The dealer is asking that I get safety + SMOG inspection - $250 out of my pocket

That's $750 cost - is this truly non negotiable? Can I go with a different dealer if that's not correct or am I stuck with the originating dealer?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Off the cuff,

1. Not negotiable IMHO, Ford Credit has a guaranteed buyout price set at the start of the lease & that can benefit either party depending on market values at the end.

2. Seems like they're trying to recoup profit they might have made selling one that was turned in, have you contacted Ford Credit directly?

3. Again, they seem to be handling this as a sale as opposed to paying off a finance deal. I'm sure that's required there for a sale, but if the car is registered/titled in your name with a lien as a lease was done here the one time I tried it I see no reason for that to be necessary.

Time to take a close look at the lease agreement, as that contract is the controlling document.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have a few questions about purchasing a leased car:
1. Is the price absolutely non negotiable?
2. The dealer is asking for $500 on top of the buyout price quoted by FordCredit
3. The dealer is asking that I get safety + SMOG inspection - $250 out of my pocket

That's $750 cost - is this truly non negotiable? Can I go with a different dealer if that's not correct or am I stuck with the originating dealer?

Thank you
also, if you are well below the mileage limits in your lease, you may have earned some equity as it affects the lease residual
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/cash-back-return-leased-car.aspx

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the $500 is in the contract and is probably a little incentive from Ford Credit for the dealers to undertake this

The $250 seems to vary from dealer to dealer but I suppose it is what it is.

The dealers don't seem too excited to do this deal. I'm guessing it's because they don't make very much money, but they have to go through all the hassles:
- inventory & profit/loss book keeping
- liability from potentially selling an unsafe car (hence the safety inspection)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's why I asked questions, not knowing how your lease contract might be set up in CA.

IF the car was titled to Ford, then it would be a car sale handled through the Dealer & it all makes sense.

I'll move this to the "purchasing center" section for more looks & a better fit for reference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts