Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i've been wondering. since headlights are a dual filiment design .. explain to me why these aftermarkets (and other like them) have 2 spots for lights plus the turn signal... i see one is a projector.. but what is the second one for? i'm tempted to get something like these and retrofit the second opening with a different color hid bulb & projector. (i plan on losing my daytime running lights thru rewiring the harness so later on i can hook fogs up to them)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so in theory i could use say.. a 12000k hid bulb for my low beam. retrofit the other with a lense (which i have access to thru a freind) and put it brighter 4000k Hid bulbs. A little high cost but overall nice look...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
There are more qualified people than me to tell you about retrofitting so I won't even try to advise you on that. When I had mine, I use 6000k in my lows and they seemed just right, Others will advise you on not using anything higher.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i've been told that the 12000k are pretty dim.. but i love the blue look they give out. that's why i'd want to go with the 4000k for the high beams. more or less have something that looks exotic/nice for show and dusk/clear night driving but when i really need to see i'll hit the high beams and there ya go.. pure white/bright lights to see

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
To give you some information before you go through with this... 12000K HIDs will be almost worthless, they may look nice but light output will be terrible. You really don't want to go much higher than 5000K for the most lumens. If you do end up going with the 12000K for the low beams, at least get a decent 55w kit instead of the normal 35w.. that will help some. Light output won't be that great to begin with since you will be putting an HID kit into a set of projectors designed for halogen bulbs. They will most likely have hot spots and a crappy cutoff. I just want to give you all the info since I have gone through the same steps you are planning on. I went from stock headlights, to stockers w/ 8000K bulbs, to eBay mach-a-like headlights, then w/ 6000k bulbs, until I finally retrofitted some TSX projectors into them w/ a 55w HID kit. Nothing beats a good OEM HID projector.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My friend is selling these exact lights for $80 brand new never installed, that are shown in the picture (Chrome) pm me if interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts