Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on here guys...was poking around researching my problems I have experiencing with my relatively new 2014 Focus (15k miles) and found your site.

Currently my car sits at the dealer and has so since last Thursday. Started off with a trip to get the oil changed and they noticed the leak. So off to the dealer to leave with the service department. Next day comes with the bad news, main seal leaking - requires dropping tranny, repacing clutch, etc. Ford has a backorder on the parts and should expect it to be fixed within 3-6 weeks.
My loaner request was denied. Later that afternoon, a call for FMC was placed to talk to a CSR who then forwarded me to a manager. Was told they would expedite the parts but no word on loaner or when to actually expect the parts at the dealer. Loaner generally up to the dealer to provide I was told. Today is Tuesday. Nothing new as of yet.

All of this brings me to these questions. I'm torn between trading the car off and keeping it. I like the car, but i'm not married to it. My worries are repeat fixes and failures. I travel with my kids in this car, its my daily work car, etc. Based on my most recent experiences with Ford customer service, this may well be my last Ford. After getting your cars fixed, how did it perform? Did the problem return? Im *REALLY* not interested in revisiting this again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First time on here guys...was poking around researching my problems I have experiencing with my relatively new 2014 Focus (15k miles) and found your site.

Currently my car sits at the dealer and has so since last Thursday. Started off with a trip to get the oil changed and they noticed the leak. So off to the dealer to leave with the service department. Next day comes with the bad news, main seal leaking - requires dropping tranny, repacing clutch, etc. Ford has a backorder on the parts and should expect it to be fixed within 3-6 weeks.
My loaner request was denied. Later that afternoon, a call for FMC was placed to talk to a CSR who then forwarded me to a manager. Was told they would expedite the parts but no word on loaner or when to actually expect the parts at the dealer. Loaner generally up to the dealer to provide I was told. Today is Tuesday. Nothing new as of yet.

All of this brings me to these questions. I'm torn between trading the car off and keeping it. I like the car, but i'm not married to it. My worries are repeat fixes and failures. I travel with my kids in this car, its my daily work car, etc. Based on my most recent experiences with Ford customer service, this may well be my last Ford. After getting your cars fixed, how did it perform? Did the problem return? Im *REALLY* not interested in revisiting this again.
Getting my wife's car done today, so I can report back but it seems like alot of people have had positive experiences once the seals + clutches are replaced. Don't forget you also get a 7 year 100k mile (I think, I know we get 160k KM) warranty on the trans now. At least it gives me more confidence in keeping the car for that 7 years.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Getting my wife's car done today, so I can report back but it seems like alot of people have had positive experiences once the seals + clutches are replaced. Don't forget you also get a 7 year 100k mile (I think, I know we get 160k KM) warranty on the trans now. At least it gives me more confidence in keeping the car for that 7 years.
The extension is only for those built up to a certain time in 2013. My 2014 was built after so I am not covered by the extension. Only the recent TCM module extension. Since his is a 2014 it may have been built after the extension timeframe for the clutches and seals. Of course he has a lot of warranty left.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The extension is only for those built up to a certain time in 2013. My 2014 was built after so I am not covered by the extension. Only the recent TCM module extension. Since his is a 2014 it may have been built after the extension timeframe for the clutches and seals.
Ah I did not know that. Interesting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Does give me hope this can be resolved....just wished they were a bit more customer friendly. Frustrated in not knowing when/where parts are and no one can give answers as to when they can fix it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Kind of weird they didnt give you your car back to just drive. They let me drive on mine for 5 weeks before the parts came in. They will come in, don't worry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What dealer? I have a really mild shudder on my 2012. currently seeing if it gets any worse and trying to determine if software update has fixed it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What dealer? I have a really mild shudder on my 2012. currently seeing if it gets any worse and trying to determine if software update has fixed it.
Metro Ford downtown. I've had nothing bad to say about them at all. Quite pleased with the service. Works out well for me as well since I work DT I can drop it off in the morning, free parking for the day and pick up after work haha

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Reading the initial post, I'm seeing a report of MAIN SEAL leaking.

That's not as common an issue as the transmission seal leakage that was more common on earlier models.

Big difference between engine main seal leaking engine oil (which can contaminate clutches, then requiring clutch replacement) and leakage of trans. oil from transmission seals.

Main seal with a major leak could both stop trans. working from clutch contamination, and possibly do major engine damage from low oil levels. This explains the "do not drive" recommendation, assuming the info. was transmitted accurately.

Waiting time for clutches is a byproduct of the clutch issues (mostly for earlier production) that aren't directly involved with this issue (engine seal).

Hopefully you'll get some help & priority since the car was recommended to be parked until repaired, unlike the trans. "shudder" issues that don't require parking while awaiting service.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
P.S. - confirm my reading is correct, and I'll change the title of the thread for you to get replies on the actual issue - it's not the only one to have that happen but those reports tend to get lost in the shuffle with all the other old reports of transmission seal problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sailor, Yes you are correct. Thank you.

Ellisd, that appears to be verbatim what they told me also.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Changed the title to reflect both possibilities.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Hi Morvac,

I'm happy to check into this. Do you have a case number? If you do, please send it to me via PM. If not, your VIN will work as well.

Meagan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts