Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 that has a leak under the driver side dash, I have traced the fluid back to where the break fluid should go under the hood. The breaks work fine and always have but when I am driving the car has its fits where here and there it I will be coasting along either not in a gear or while holding down the clutch, the car will die which then I release the clutch or place it in gear then release the clutch and the car starts. Here are some pictures: (Pictures are LARGE!!!)

Pictures REMOVED By OP.

Check update in later post.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 ZX3. Just had it fixed last week. Its your clutch master cylinder. Its a common problem from what I read. The part shouldn't cost more than $40 and depending on how handy you are, there's a DIY on here somewhere if you type it in the search bar.

As far as the car shutting off when you coast and whatnot I have no idea. Mine didn't do that. But this forum is loaded with people that can help diagnose for you. So I'd imagine you can get it figured out by the end of the day.

Also with the hydraulic clutch that our cars have, if you have a leak, then the clutch might not be engaging when the pedal is fully compressed. But I'd imagine that's something you'd definitely notice, plus you wouldn't even be able to get it into gear.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Notorious0ne, I will be ordering the part asap and maybe will post pics of the change out [wrenchin][wrenchin] like you did. Just hope by the end of it I dont have have to sign over any body parts by the time I am done with fixing all that is wrong on this car. [read]

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Yeah, that's the part. I've replaced mine twice. the part off your air box looks like an air filter gauge, looks broken off.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
No problem man. I changed mine and looked every where for a how to with pictures but no one had it so i made one since this is a common problem. The cylinder is plastic so be careful.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup Yup - It's an issue.... Get it fixed, THEN if you have any other issues that still manifest themselves, start a NEW thread & we'll help you deal with them...

(fix the "obvious" first, THEN see what problems remain...)

Luck!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do, Its on the way and I will update again after i've made the swap.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I made the swap a few days ago and everything seems to be working great.

@ Notorious0ne: I followed your pictured tutorial for the most part, my uncle assisted me with it and he cut a few corners but in the end it worked out, my clutch drain plug was a bit different but we found it. Mine had a little rubber top on it and when pulled off you could see a bolt with a hole in it, when u turn the bolt fluid/air escaped from the hole.

I am still having issues with some things but ill create a new post for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts