Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the last times under my car (2006 ZXW auto transmission) I noticed that the rear of the transaxle right under the axle seals was a bit wet (when pretty much the rest of the underside of the engine is nice and dry as can be at least). I am assuming it is the axle seals one or both of them that is leaking, but could it also be the rear/lower engine mount leaking (is it a hydraulic mount even?)

But if it is indeed one or both of the axle seals leaking, I know I have to pull the inner CVs out of it and am familiar with the process (thanks to the service manual), but it calls for a special 307-572 tool to insert the new seal into the transaxle. Instead of using that tool should a tool like http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html work just as well as the official tool? Also what would be the best way to remove the seals themselves?

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
If simply misting or light deposit they will all pretty much do that after a bit of wear, the environment down there is full of dust that eats at the seal lips. If trans fluid not going down enough to cause a problem staying on top of it I'd hold off on it.

Generally only the passenger side mount is a hydro one, the others are simply normal rubber.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was thinking about the mounts, I knew the passenger side mount was a hydraulic one (and replaced before I bought the car with a Ford OEM one) but wasn't completely sure about the lower/rear one.

As for the leakage/seepage, while it isn't gushing out it is enough to leave drops on the driveway and keeping the area under the axle seals with a nice coating of trans fluid on them. While I am not saying I am OCD when it comes to fluid leaks, it would be nice to have a car that doesn't have visible oil/trans fluid staining under the car for a change, hence why I asked.

Looking at the writeup in the service manual about it, it doesn't seem to be overly involved and does not seem to need the outer CV joint to be removed from the spindle either, just have never had to replace an axle seal myself (usually done when the transmission was rebuilt). I just wanted to get a bit of clarification of things before I did anything, along with any advise from anybody who has done the work before. Oh I should have stated it in my first post, but the car has around 111K miles on it right now.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dripping can change the calculations from 'wet".

You can double check if that driver set would be useful by measuring the seal diameter (I think it'd work, handy typical kit).

Pulling the driveshafts WITH the knuckles attached could be a chore. Avoids needing to worry about the wheel bearings & big torque wrench, but it'd be a 2 man job to handle those carefully. Knuckles can be left hanging from struts/tie rods usually.

Removing the passenger side first lets you use a drift to drive out the drivers side (carefully, isn't open straight through).

There are options for drivers side removal, the right slide hammer attachment could pull it for example.

Might check some axle replacement threads for details & tips, short answer here.

Cheers

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
X2 on the dripping comment..............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts