Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[SOLVED] Leaking coolant in driver's foot well, heater core?

Hey guys,

I've been a lurker for a while but finally (unfortunately) have had a reason to register.

About a week ago, I noticed a bit of a bubbling noise in my car and didn't make too much though of it until yesterday when I noticed the engine temp had risen from it's usual 90ºC (194ºC) to 105ºC (221ºC) accompanied by a nice pull over now warning [mecry]

I pulled over and popped the hood to find the coolant overflow reservoir completely empty (on a public holiday with nowhere open for me to buy more [?|])

So I've babied it home, and this morning picked up some coolant. I topped up the reservoir (might have still been a little warm) with 1.5L (2/5 Gallon) and got on with my day. Checked before I drove home and noticed it had dropped again. I initially thought it may have just been due to temps so I've added the last .5L (1/10 Gallon) I had and drove home. This is a roughly 20km (12.5 miles) trip and top speed, which I'll readily admit I accelerate hard to, was 80kph (50mph).

I've gotten home to find the reservoir has been depleted again and I was now out of the top up coolant I'd bought this morning... I've now topped up with about 1L (1/5 Gallon) just to get me going tomorrow morning but set about to trying to find the source of the leak.

Seemingly the leak appears to be in the drivers foot well, to the left of the clutch pedal (Australian vehicle so this is on the right hand side). The coolant seems like it is leaking from the topmost metal hose in the attached image.

I would love some opinions as to what people think might be going on here so I'm not shocked when I go in to see a mechanic. Some of my car friends (I'll freely admit that I don't really know enough beyond what I need to get by) think from the description that it may be the heater core but I've had little luck finding any information as to the exact location of this item in these vehicles so I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

Thanks in advance if you can help!
Ryan

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,456 Posts
Welcome to FF, looks like you need to replace the heater core. When installing the hoses have a look at them & be care installing them on the core, so wd40 or similar so the hoses slide on easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks felixthecat.
Not really the news I was hoping to hear but that's life hey... I'll have to get someone else to do it as I'm not confident getting my hands dirtier than rotating tires haha.

Opinions: with the vehicle being bought new from dealer with a standard 5 year warranty, do you think that this would be a warranty item?

·
Registered
292 Posts
^^
this would be out of base warranty.
if you have premiumcare from ford then it should be covered

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's Australia, unsure about warranties there.

Also unsure about the model, it's posted as a MkII (which never came to the States) but also as a '13, by which time I thought the MkIII was sold down under.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'm literally 23 days outside of warranty [?|]... but I've got it booked into the dealer who is going to look at it for me tomorrow so I'm hoping that they play nice for me.

I think there may be some differences between the USDM and AUSDM releases of the MKII.

I had a quick look and the MKII in the US I don't even know if we received in Australia. I've attached a picture of what the MKII is in Australia (which I think is the MKIII in the US so I hope this helps). We had this model marketed as the LW MKII and the newest facelift is the LZ.

Really hoping that it's just the O rings to the heater core rather than the unit itself, but really hoping Ford do the right thing by me haha. I shouldn't have a coolant leak before the car has even reached 40,000km (25,000 miles).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hope it's the o-rings as well, and they take care of you for the easier fix.

Yes, that's the MkIII here, we've got '15+ models that have a different look we'll prob. end up calling a Mk3.5

Terms are only within the Forums, Ford doesn't use them here. There was a worldwide MkII that looks closer to the three, nothing like the version we got of an updated MkI that was only sold in the U.S. and Canada.

I'll move this to the MkIII section, for Forum purposes it fits better there like ST170 fits in the SVT section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a heap Sailor, I'll post back with an update as to what Ford come back with, otherwise I'll look at bypassing the heater core in the interim... which should be fun when it's winter in 2 months but will give me the time to save haha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys,

just an update, I drove for about 15 minutes last night and heard a dreaded bubbling so I've pulled over and managed to get this video;

2013 Ford Focus coolant leaking from heater core.

Sorry for the terrible filming but fun times. But it definitely seems like it might be a seal issue rather than the core itself.

The car is in with ford today but is 24 days outside of warranty [:(!] (turns out I had a 3 year 100,000km (62,500 miles) warranty but I've only done 40,000km (25,000 miles))

Hoping that they are willing to look after me when it comes to this but will just have to wait and see.

I'll post back soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great news guys, heater core is definitely the culprit but Ford have agreed to honour this under warranty!!! [cheers]

Thanks for all your help and input, I'll be without a car for the weekend but I could probably take a cab everywhere and be better off than I would have been paying for it [hihi]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Separating Heating Matrix Pipes

Hi All, this is my first post and i'd be thankful for any replies.

My wifes car is leaking coolant from the heating matrix pipes in the drivers footwell and I believe the O-rings have gone. I've got new O-rings and clamps from Ford (£14) and drained the coolant over the weekend from the bleed valve under the car.

Unfortunately after removing the clamps from the heating matrix pipes in the footwell I cannot pull the pipes apart to replace the seals, is there a specific way I should be doing this? I was debating whether I should remove the coolant pipes from the engine bulkhead to give me some movement but not sure if this is essential? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi jayyadav, I have same issue with my Focus 2011 Titanium - just wondered did you ever get this sorted and how did you pull apart the pipes if so?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts