Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I live in Michigan and haven't used my AC in a while. I'm noticing my car is leaving semi large puddles under the front end that seems to be water. Upon inspection, I found 2 hoses running into the firewall, passenger side and 1 exposed piping structure under those 2 hoses. Seems like the water is dripping out of there.

Is this normal, or should I be concerned that I potentially have an AC switch that is defective and my AC is running all the time?

Heres a pic of the hoses. The exposed piping is below these 2. If you look closely to the left, you can see the wet area.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
the 2 hoses are running to your heater core under the dash for heating and cooling of the air your car pushes out of the vents, check the hoses for cracks, for that would lead to puddles and a lose of heat when you put your can into full blast with the heat on high. also, what color is the leaks on the driveway?? if there green/yellowish in color, its coolant, if its red, its power steering fluid/ATF leaking from your rack or the Power steering lines. its rare that AC liquid leaks out of cars, plus, if it does, it evaporates and goes buy buy in the atmosphere.

id say check them all just to make sure. check fluid levels while your at it. specially the coolant.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 2 hoses are running to your heater core under the dash for heating and cooling of the air your car pushes out of the vents, check the hoses for cracks, for that would lead to puddles and a lose of heat when you put your can into full blast with the heat on high. also, what color is the leaks on the driveway?? if there green/yellowish in color, its coolant, if its red, its power steering fluid/ATF leaking from your rack or the Power steering lines.

id say check them all just to make sure. check fluid levels while your at it. specially the coolant.
I couldn't get my camera in there, but there is another fitting DIRECTLY under those 2 hoses. It just a plain open ended tube, that looks like a hose should be attached to. The water seem to be leaking out of that? Is that some sort of evaporator?

Ps... I checked the puddle. It's clear and upon rubbing against my fingers, didn't seem to have any slippery substance or smell. Seems like water?

·
Registered
347 Posts
ill brb, ill go check out my SVT to see if i have the same thing. it might just be a waste pipe for the condensor, because it accumulates water on the outside and the water has to go somewhere. ill be back in a few mins with an update for ya

·
Registered
347 Posts
not a problem, i went out with my handy dandy flashlight and took a look just now, its a drain for your condenser. nothing but water coming out of that pipe. if it starts to look green/yellow in color and has an odor/is slippery to the touch, you got a coolant leak, which would be an issue. but if nothing but water is coming out like you say, you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if your really bold and daring, touch the wet spot and taste the fluid, yea, sounds weird, but if it tastes like water, or no taste at all, your good to go, but if its supper bitter and sweet and tastes like [email protected]*$ and you wish you didnt try it, its coolant. [wiggle]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not a problem, i went out with my handy dandy flashlight and took a look just now, its a drain for your condenser. nothing but water coming out of that pipe. if it starts to look green/yellow in color and has an odor/is slippery to the touch, you got a coolant leak, which would be an issue. but if nothing but water is coming out like you say, you have nothing to worry about.
Sweet! Thank you. I'm going to take it to the dealer anyway, as the passenger side strut seems blown. Any small pavement change and BAM! I DO NOT LIKE that sound!

Thanks for helpin' out! [cheers]

·
Registered
347 Posts
not a problem man, your welcome.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if your really bold and daring, touch the wet spot and taste the fluid, yea, sounds weird, but if it tastes like water, or no taste at all, your good to go, but if its supper bitter and sweet and tastes like [email protected]*$ and you wish you didnt try it, its coolant. [wiggle]
I'll try that! Hell, I've siphoned gas with a hose and got a mouthful. Still seem normal after that! Seeing it's pretty clear, I'm pretty sure it's water... but cause I have dogs... I'll take one for the team!

Thanks again

·
Registered
347 Posts
your welcome. glad to help a fellow FOFO driver. i guess it pay's to be a mechanic sometimes. [wrenchin]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Your Powersteering Fluid should NOT be red. Unless someone dumped ATF in there, which in turn is bad for the seals. If it WERE made for power steering it would say ATF/Powersteering Fluid.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Your Powersteering Fluid should NOT be red. Unless someone dumped ATF in there

Ford power steering systems typically specify that ATF should be used. Check your Owners Manual.

Specifically, check page 221 of you 2003 Focus Owner's Manual and you will see the Ford say to use Motorcraft
MERCON ATF (Ford Part Number XT-2-QDX) in the Power Steering system, rather than anything labeled as power steering fluid.

Ford systems tend to leak over time if "power steering fluid" is used in them, rather than the ATF that Ford specifies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts