Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone like what my title says, im leaking brake fluid, and i don't know where. the fluid ends up coming down the clutch pedal and then on my floor mat. i replace my brake line in may i believe. since then i had to refill the fluid 2 time. but i didn't have to start since OCT. and another in DEC.

anyone know where this leak might be coming from please give me the answer... lol tips and suggestion is also welcomed with open arms!!

----

p.s. i got buy more fluid. im all out of the blue stuff.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
most likely its the slave cylinder which is above the pedal itself, there common for leaking.. I unfortunately cannot supply a picture of its location cuz all my cars are auto's

the clutch uses the same reservoir as the brakes so when your clutch leaks it empties your brake fluid and causes the brake warning light to flicker

·
Registered
42 Posts
Clutch Master Cylinder . Hold a flash at the white part that goes in and out , soon as you press it in.. sometimes fluid will come out. Try rolling a very thick napkin and wedging it under that part, where you can depress the pedal without it falling off. Then you can be sure it's the cylinder going bad. This will be my second time replacing mine, it's leaking right now but very slowly.I'd say every 80k I replace it. I'm at 158k miles right now and last I changed at 89k under normal driving conditions(granny shifting). OH YEAH!!! Be sure to put a mat underneath this if you let it leak. If the brake fluid touch the carpet it will destroy it and it takes months to get out(better yet replace all the interior carpet if it becomes saturated).

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Clutch Master Cylinder . Hold a flash at the white part that goes in and out , soon as you press it in.. sometimes fluid will come out. Try rolling a very thick napkin and wedging it under that part, where you can depress the pedal without it falling off. Then you can be sure it's the cylinder going bad. This will be my second time replacing mine, it's leaking right now but very slowly.I'd say every 80k I replace it. I'm at 158k miles right now and last I changed at 89k under normal driving conditions(granny shifting). OH YEAH!!! Be sure to put a mat underneath this if you let it leak. If the brake fluid touch the carpet it will destroy it and it takes months to get out(better yet replace all the interior carpet if it becomes saturated).
I stand corrected then, I apologize but I knew it was one of the cylinders [chair]

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so if its the master cylinder, then i need to replace that son of a gun?

replacing it, can it be done by my own hands? or do i have to bring it to the shop?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^^That looks like a master-vac with the brake master under the hood. That wont leak inside the cabin.

What the OP has is a leak from a clutch master cylinder, which is inside the car, attached to the clutch pedal.....so I've heard anyway. I also have an automatic, so I've never seen one.

Brake/clutch fluid is corrosive....bad to get on anything. Ruins shoes, carpet, paint, etc.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
There is only one master cylinder in the Focus. I don't know how, but the clutch and brake share the same master cylinder. When you have brake fluid on your pedals, then you need to have it replaced. DO it quickly, or brake fluid (evil stuff) will corrode the glue that holds your pedals to the metal, permanently stain the carpet, and eat off the paint on the metal below the carpet.

Fix it. FYI: never touch the body of the car after touching brake fluid. Just a little on your finger will eat through paint and primer. Paint will literally fall off the next time you wash it.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
It's almost 100% going to be your clutch master cylinder. Seems nearly every manual focus has had to replace it. I did awhile ago and I think it's leaking again.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks everyone, i went to go test it this morning and it is the master cylinder.... of hte clutch (clutch n brake)

so here is my next question, where can i get a replacement? OEM? or different brand is fine? and can it be done by myself ( having to learn about it first ) and maybe my cousin ( who's a certified mechanic ).

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It shouldn't be very hard to replace.......but you'll have to bleed the hydraulic system(s) after you do so. That's not very hard either, but it does take some know-how, and a helper to pump the pedal. There are special tools available that allow you to do the bleeding by yourself.

Be certain to suck out any remaining fluid before you begin the job (use new fluid from a sealed container when you're finished).

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is your part. Rockauto.com sells it at a reasonable price. http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/g...eurl=http://info.rockauto.com/RB/CM640015.jpg

So this can be replaced yourself, Requires 2 high jack stands and patience on getting it out. Do not attempt if it's really cold outside. Make sure you're comfortable cause it takes a little while. If you're a novice with brake fluid and getting air out of lines, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Pick up a haynes manual at your local auto parts store. It has a very good explanation of removal and replacement on the clutch master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

well i hope this is the master cylinder because i went to napa today, and put a order on the master cylinder. all n all, it came out to around 100.... 22 was for a core charge. 5 was sipping from CT.

i guess i gota wait prob sometime next week, becuase i got get NEW fluid....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts