Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I bought a 2004 Focus LX saloon a week or so ago, and I've noticed a leak under the front of the car, left of centre. I haven't been able to check it out properly yet as there has been a lot of rain recently.

Leak didn't seem to be too oily, but I think some oil was in it.

Here is a picture of where the leak is:

I've looked at the car engine from above and can't see anything wet, but can see a wet patch when looking underneath the car, but I'm not sure where it is coming from - I'm no expert!

Can anyone suggest what could be wrong, I really don't want an expensive bill at the moment!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Is it a manual or automatic transmission, if it's a automatic it could be a transmission leak

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a manual. I'm in the UK, so it is a right hand drive too.

Also, my oil meter in the car doesn't appear to be going down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check your fluids and see if any have gone down recently. I learned that the T-Stat housing are made of plastic and can leak. Believe it is in the same area as your leak. Check coolant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies, I haven't been able to get a sample of what was leaking as it was raining again and I have to park the car on the road. It seems to have stopped now.

I checked most of the fluids I could, screen washer, engine coolant, brake/clutch fluid, oil and power steering and all seem OK.

What other fluid could it be? Could it be radiator water or something?

Could the coolant be leaking slowly? Maybe I'll keep an eye on that.

The cars seems to be running fine still although the only thing that I've notice change since buying it about 2 weeks ago is that the clutch makes a slight whining noise when going through the bite-point in first gear.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Unfortunately, the location of the drip is often not the location of the leak as fluids like to run along the parts to a low spot then drip off.

If you can just run your finger along the drip location to get a bit on your fingertip, you should be able to tell if it's oil, coolant, brake fluid(throwout bearing), or power steering fluid by rubbing your fingertips together and going by feel.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
ya that location could be coolant (from T-stat housing), oil from rear main seal (as my SVT is leaking) or manyother things.

if it is the T-stat housing, it usually will pool further up in crannies on the transmission housing. and its a cheap and easy fix.
the rear main seal will seep out of the mating between block and tranny right at the bottom only. this is an expensive fix, but u can usually just let it leak and top up the oil when necessary, unless its a large leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses again. We've finally have had some sunny weather and I've taken a few pictures of the where the leak is dripping from. It doesn't seem to be leaking anymore, I cleaned it up with a tissue and no more oil has come out since. I think it is oil, you can see what the tissue looks like below. The good news is that the car is still driving perfectly, so I haven't been overly worried yet...

Oily areas:

The main drip was coming from this bit, this photo was taken after I wiped it:

The tissue:

I haven't taken it to a garage yet as I haven't needed to drive it much and the leaking has seemed to have stopped. I've not sure if that is good news or not - but the main oil is still full or even slightly over full and all other fluids I can check easily seem to be fine too.

I'll have to do a 130 mile trip in less than a week, so a little worried if I should risk it or not.

It would be great to have a good idea what the problem is before taking the car into a garage, so I have some idea what I'm/they are talking about!

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
looks like the crankshaft rear seal could be weeping slightly check that your breather is not blocked the crankcase will breath into your airbox if its restricted pressure builds up and forces oil past the seals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts