Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right spot...

2005 ZX3 with sunroof. We've had record rain this month and half of it ended up in the drivers side of this car. Inches, in both front and rear footwells. I'm assuming one of the drains is plugged, but my real question is, is it even worth paying someone to try and clean and dry this thing out or am I looking at a new carpet once I find the problem?

I've been trying to vacuum it out since we discovered it last week but every time I made a bit of headway it rains again, and there's so much in there I never seem to get it to the point where it stops seeping up.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
2,633 Posts

2005 ZX3 with sunroof. We've had record rain this month and half of it ended up in the drivers side of this car. Inches, in both front and rear footwells. I'm assuming one of the drains is plugged, but my real question is, is it even worth paying someone to try and clean and dry this thing out or am I looking at a new carpet once I find the problem?

I've been trying to vacuum it out since we discovered it last week but every time I made a bit of headway it rains again, and there's so much in there I never seem to get it to the point where it stops seeping up.
It is not hard to drop the headliner and properly clean out the drains with some weed eater line and some compressed air. If you are in a major metro area look for a sunroof king and take it to them if you can't do the work. There are 4 drains. One in each corner.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The reason for dropping the headliner is to make sure the rubber drain hoses dont detach from the sunroof while cleaning.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I had a 2000 ZX2 for a while... My brother left my windows rolled down when we left for vacation. 3-5 inches of standing water in the footwells when we returned. I drove the car for 3 years after that and the smell never fully left the car because I wasn't willing to replace the carpet in it.

If you're willing to pay to replace the carpet and other wet cloth bits, do so. There's not another way to really get rid of the smell. Otherwise, do what I did. Buy lots of vent-mounted air fresheners, have a cup of baking soda in the car you replace once a week, and ride with the windows down whenever possible. It lessened the smell, but if it got humid out, it was gonna smell and I just had to live with it.

On the bright side, I never had any electrical problems from the standing water for the 3 years I drove it after the fact. Never found mold in the car or anything like that either. Just the god awful smell.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
That's the easy part, I'm more concerned with mold and mildew in the carpet.
You can remove the seats and the console and pull the carpet to let it dry out after you fix the drains or if the ac works put the vent selector on floor and use the ac to dry it out.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
206 Posts
That's the easy part, I'm more concerned with mold and mildew in the carpet.
I saw a video on that on youtube. The issue was the gutter under the wipers. The guy had lifted the carpets, removed the excess water, sprayed an anti mold spray and let the fan dry everything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 2000 ZX2 for a while... My brother left my windows rolled down when we left for vacation. 3-5 inches of standing water in the footwells when we returned. I drove the car for 3 years after that and the smell never fully left the car because I wasn't willing to replace the carpet in it.

If you're willing to pay to replace the carpet and other wet cloth bits, do so. There's not another way to really get rid of the smell. Otherwise, do what I did. Buy lots of vent-mounted air fresheners, have a cup of baking soda in the car you replace once a week, and ride with the windows down whenever possible. It lessened the smell, but if it got humid out, it was gonna smell and I just had to live with it.

On the bright side, I never had any electrical problems from the standing water for the 3 years I drove it after the fact. Never found mold in the car or anything like that either. Just the god awful smell.
Yikes! I think you win (in a bad way). Thankfully the seats are fine. That smell was probably mold of some sort.

I'm going to give it a try drying it out but I have a feeling I'm going to be heavily considering a carpet by summer. It's my winter car for the most part - at least it's not humid but it may stink with the heat going.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw a video on that on youtube. The issue was the gutter under the wipers. The guy had lifted the carpets, removed the excess water, sprayed an anti mold spray and let the fan dry everything.
If we ever had a stretch of dry weather, I'd park it in the sun and do that! Thanks for the second location idea. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can remove the seats and the console and pull the carpet to let it dry out after you fix the drains or if the ac works put the vent selector on floor and use the ac to dry it out.
There are 4 drains? Do you know where they exit? The passenger side is fine but I can't get to the trunk to check that. But tons in drivers front and rear footwells.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yikes! I think you win (in a bad way). Thankfully the seats are fine. That smell was probably mold of some sort.

I'm going to give it a try drying it out but I have a feeling I'm going to be heavily considering a carpet by summer. It's my winter car for the most part - at least it's not humid but it may stink with the heat going.
Wasn't trying to play one up, just letting you know how bad it can get if not taken care of. Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts