Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
61 plate zetec 105 hatchback, my car mat under my pedals is constantly damp with what looks, feels and smells like an oily substance, my mechanic can't find where is coming from. Where could it be coming from?

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
526 Posts
Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drain is probably clogged or has become detached.
You have to find out if it's oily or just dirty water. There's no oil that can leak into the driver footwell that I know of. If your mechanic can't figure it out then idk what to suggest. Maybe you just spilled something on the floor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drain is probably clogged or has become detached.
You have to find out if it's oily or just dirty water. There's no oil that can leak into the driver footwell that I know of. If your mechanic can't figure it out then idk what to suggest. Maybe you just spilled something on the floor.
I don't have a sun roof, and the shelf below the wipers has been taken off and old leaves or crap has been removed, there wasn't much anyway. I'm not car savi but on looking myself I can see the steering column? above the pedals, could something be coming off that?

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
2,423 Posts
61 plate zetec 105 hatchback, my car mat under my pedals is constantly damp with what looks, feels and smells like an oily substance, my mechanic can't find where is coming from. Where could it be coming from?
Leaky clutch master cylinder would be my guess.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
526 Posts
So OP, do you have a manual trans or not?
I'm assuming not since your mechanic couldn't figure it out. If you do have a manual then the master cylinder leaking down the firewall to the floors makes sense but if that's the case then you're low on brake fluid. If your mechanic wasn't able to notice and figure that out then you definitely need a new mechanic.
If it's water and not oil then it could be a leaking windshield seal. I've had that happen on a car before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have a manual Focus, then I would back up what is said above, especially as you stated, the substance is oily: I would suspect the clutch fluid leaking from the clutch master cylinder. I have a 2003 5-speed, and after 80K miles, the clutch master cylinder started leaking, which dripped onto the clutch pedal and floor rug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts