Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather is in the high 60s today. I got up and wanted to find a mod to do to the Focus today.

I was digging through my box of parts and came across my stock door handles that came off the ZX3 when I put the Tribute ones on. Since the Tribute doesnt come in Infra-Red (the color of my wifes SE) I decided to give it a try painting them. I went to Pep Boys and bought a can of Plastic-Kote Infra Red. I wiped down the handles with alcohol, shot them with 2 light coats of BULLDOG, 3 light coats of Red, and Im waiting for them to dry so I can Clear coat them.

So far so good.

Pics if they turn out.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Painting complete. I have to give the results a Big thumbs down. I got the paint to stick really well, but because of the textured surface the results are dull looking. The handles look really nice until you hold them next to the car, then they dont even look the same color. I put 4 coats of clear on hoping that the color would come out better, but they still feel and look like there isnt any clear on them at all.

My next step is to wait a few days until they set up, then sand them as smooth as I can and try again.

If that doesnt work then I will buy the primed ones from Ford and paint those.

Im determined to have painted handles and moldings on both cars. Right now I have painted moldings on the SE and painted handles on the ZX3. Im half way there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
sand them with about 180 then primer.. after primering use steel wool to get it really really baby smooth.

then coat 2 times with the paint.. let dry for about a day then clear coat.. to get a nice shine use a heat gun to dry the clear coat.. works every time..

if you need help george, im off this weekend and i have a heat gun.. lmk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts