Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today me and my friend went out to try to find out what the best way is to launch my car. We tried all different rpms and found that 3000rpm seems to get the least wheelspin(about 3 rotations of the tires) with out the car bogging. Does this seem right to you guys? I tried 3500 and 3700 and my wheels seem to spin way to much, but alot of people here say that is what you are supposed to launch at, maybe every car is different?
Im going to the 1/4 strip for the first time this weekend(weather permiting) and I want to try and get some decent times, but I am not expecting to be in the 15s yet because Im really new to a manual tranny.
I also read I shouldnt be in 4th gear at all in a 1/4th race, that I should top out 3rd? Sound right?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
top of 3rd i around 90mph, you may touch 4th but i doubt you'd run in it for any length of time.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
n/a you should stay in 3rd.. I didn't have to get into fourth until I added nitrous.

I would hit the limiter right at the 1/4 mark, so I just held that rpm, instead of wasting time shifting early. Trying it both ways, I was always faster staying in 3rd. (this is when I was running very low 15's, I had some bolt-ons but no spray)

·
Registered
169 Posts
also u say 3000 rpm is the right RPM to launch at....keep in mind at the strip there is already rubber on the ground making ur tires grip even more so u might want to bump that rpm up a bit to just under 3500 just play around with it ull find the right rpm

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
^ you will need to find the right RPM for your track and tire combo... some guys can launch at 4500 on street tires, others spin out at 3k.. its hard to guess the traction available unless you are talking to folks driving on the same track

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
launch rpm and et

i have a 02 svt with all the bolt-ons. i found that if you drop your tire pressure to about 24-26 lbs in front and lauch at about 2800 rpm, you will be in the 15 sec. range. my best time was 15.519 at 89.92 mph. my reaction time was .182, 60' was 2.367. temp was 73 degrees.

·
Registered
183 Posts
hahaha... so the first time i tried dragging my car (first time learning a manual) i got waaaay to excited and trigger happy... def do not launch car from 6000rpm... will result in wheel spin until shifting into second... Yes, your all alowed to call me a flippn retard... but i have since then found that if i launch my SVT at around 3600 to 4000 it works best. Thats my 0.02$.

·
Registered
183 Posts
haha... yeah, 6k def doesnt work out.

I'll try 6500 and tell ya how it goes... haha.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i launch at around 3700 on street tires and seem to spin just enough to keep them hot. also i noticed if you pull the traction controll fuse out you can launch way better with consistant 60 foot times... i tired hitting the trac button off but it still bogs down to much somtimes, pull the fuse and you should be happier with the results!!! note: pulling the fuse will make the BRAKE, TRAC light, and ABS warrning lights come on

·
Registered
467 Posts
my best so far was at 4200 still spun the tires but at least it didn't bog couldn't find a sweet spot for the tires dunlop fm901 good tires but not at the strip

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
On my new Azenis this weekend, I tried to do an aggressive 5K RPM launch, and the buggers didn't even squeak. I was rewarded with a mediocre start and the stench of clutch. Had to launch at close to 6K to even get them spinning. But this is for freshly worn-in and heat cycled 225-width Azenis on a hot day.

"Induvidual results may vary"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yea, all depends. I launch at only 2500 rpms. Slip the clutch. I avg 2.1 60ft times. I get my fare share of 2.0s, But with the street tires, 215s at normal psi, it's not bad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Half time, you said in your 'sticky' that you launch at 3800rpms, why do you launch at 2500rpms? Oh, I sent you another pm by the way, I would really like your scrutiny and tips on my times! I only was able to get a 2.436 60foot time....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't think I ever said I currently launch at 3800 rpms? I could be mistaken. Befor the Super Charger I was launching at around 3700rpms or so. Then after the SuperCharger I droped the rpms due to more torque, and now that my stock clutch is slipping, I launch even lower, at around 2500 rpms. But I'll go check my PMs and see if I can help you out at all. Remeber though, that if the track prep sucks, your 60ft times will too. In my Lightning, on the stock F1s I was getting 1.8s all day long, and with DRs 1.7s, last week at the track, horrible track prep, on teh DRs, the best I could get all night was a 2.01 60ft time. And the Focus the best I could get was a 2.23 60 ft time. Thier are alot a varibles when it comes to racing at a track. But giveing a good night, good weather, good track prep, and practice, a Stock SVT Focus can get a low 15 sec 1/4, and can get a 2.1 60ft time no problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So what kind of Supercharger did you get, and what are the figues on it... how much it cost, how much more power.. i'm wanting to get a supercharger, but dont know what one...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts